Teenage knife-carring in the UK/India & (John 10:18)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Horner94

Post by Horner94 » March 22nd, 2020, 7:45 pm

Hi,
1) I am currently doing a literature review on teenage knife-carrying in the UK and India, and just wanted to start a discussion on it with you, if you would be interested. It's due the end of this month, I have considered discussing about social media's influence on the younger generation, especially in relation to notorious criminals, such as Charles Manson on front pages of newspapers, etc., I have also thought about law making it legal to purchase samurai swords at 18 in the UK, but there's not much on teenage knife carrying in India. Any ideas where I could obtain more info. on this?

2) I wanted to find out about the implications of knife carriage and usage in the incident involving “Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smite the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus” (John 18:10). Therefore, I would like to know why Simon Peter would have a sword, and the fact that Jesus might have had foreknowledge of this event occuring is slightly concerning, but I'm not trying to allege anything, and are there any additional lessons we could glean from this incident?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,
Chad

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » March 23rd, 2020, 1:28 pm

Horner94 wrote:
March 22nd, 2020, 7:45 pm
2) I wanted to find out about the implications of knife carriage and usage in the incident involving “Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smite the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus” (John 18:10). Therefore, I would like to know why Simon Peter would have a sword, and the fact that Jesus might have had foreknowledge of this event occuring is slightly concerning, but I'm not trying to allege anything, and are there any additional lessons we could glean from this incident?
Just because Jesus knew all things didn't mean he condoned all things.
After Peter strikes Malchus, this is what Jesus says to Peter in Matthew 25:52: "Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword." In Luke 22:51 Jesus heals Malchus after Peter strikes him. "But Jesus answered and said, 'Permit even this,' and He touched his ear and healed him." So clearly Jesus is against this kind of violence.

God bless,
Rachel
~Rachel~
Behold the brave battalion that stands side by side
Too few in number and too proud to hide
Then say to the others who did not follow through
"You're still our brothers and we will fight for you."

~Disney's Newsies! on Broadway

KevinS

Post by KevinS » March 23rd, 2020, 2:43 pm

Chad, I'm not all that sure why this discussion of Simon Peter is relevant to your paper.

But to answer your inquiry, I don't think it was uncommon for someone at this time to carry a sword (or other weapon.) The threat from thieves and wild animals was great enough to warrant it.

Incidentally, as you may know, Peter was known as an impetuous man, filled with feeling and perhaps even a lack of self-control. John giver us support for this view.

Christ displays an interesting side to matters when he instructs the discipline to arm themselves in another Gospel. They say they have two, and Jesus says, "That is enough."

That Jesus knows future events always introduces any number of difficult questions; questions I won't address here. At any rate, He also tells us that those who live by the sword will die by the sword. (True enough, I think.)

Do have a look at the other Gospels. All four mention Peter's strike of the sword.

If there are further lessons to be learned here, one must draw one's own conclusions. An act like this one allows the Lord to vocalize the clear position in which He was in. He could save himself without violence of any kind, but, instead, He knew that He must be led to the cross.
Drop and roll!

CSCO

Post by CSCO » March 23rd, 2020, 9:54 pm

Horner94 wrote:

Ow! You know an important thing that follows:

"I promise you that you cannot get into God's kingdom, unless you accept it the way a child does." (Mark 10:15)

Yes, God's will is beyond my intellectual reach!
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » March 24th, 2020, 3:13 am

I think this off-topic is becoming _"off off-topic" , I don't see what the answers have to do with teenagers in England and India carrying knives.

Anne

CSCO

Post by CSCO » March 25th, 2020, 9:17 am

Simon Peter was a fisherman. Fish Knife was his tool. If he wore it, it's natural for him. I suppose our Lord worked a miracle so that a knife turned into a sword.

A sword Peter used was nobody's sword, wasn't it?
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

CSCO

Post by CSCO » March 25th, 2020, 9:51 am

Horner94 wrote:
Hi,
1) I am currently doing a literature review on teenage knife-carrying in the UK and India, and just wanted to start a discussion on it with you, if you would be interested. It's due the end of this month, I have considered discussing about social media's influence on the younger generation, especially in relation to notorious criminals, such as Charles Manson on front pages of newspapers, etc., I have also thought about law making it legal to purchase samurai swords at 18 in the UK, but there's not much on teenage knife carrying in India. Any ideas where I could obtain more info. on this?

That sort of people, I suppose. I heard a story but I'm not sure: Young Budda stamped an insect carelessly in a forest and he never went to the forest again to avoid doing it again.
That's your heart.