Gripe about technology, but thankful for LV!

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » April 3rd, 2020, 8:55 am

Well, the current shelter in place and social distancing we're all doing has forced me to start doing something I've been thinking about trying for awhile: filming and editing videos.

I HATE IT! :evil: Reviews for this editing software I have claim that it's "easy" and "intuitive." FALSE! It took a hundred years and a Youtube tutorial for me to figure out how to do something as simple as clipping out the beginning few seconds! And then exporting and uploading takes another hundred years, EACH! I mean, geez, a five minute video is a HUGE amount of data! Who has time for this???

I guess I'm just spoiled. Three and a half years have gotten me accustomed to working with relatively simple, small, audio files. The next DR I edit will be pure bliss compared to this experience.

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 3rd, 2020, 9:05 am

mightyfelix wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 8:55 am
Well, the current shelter in place and social distancing we're all doing has forced me to start doing something I've been thinking about trying for awhile: filming and editing videos.

I HATE IT! :evil: Reviews for this editing software I have claim that it's "easy" and "intuitive." FALSE! It took a hundred years and a Youtube tutorial for me to figure out how to do something as simple as clipping out the beginning few seconds! And then exporting and uploading takes another hundred years, EACH! I mean, geez, a five minute video is a HUGE amount of data! Who has time for this???

I guess I'm just spoiled. Three and a half years have gotten me accustomed to working with relatively simple, small, audio files. The next DR I edit will be pure bliss compared to this experience.
:lol: I'm still figuring out what to even USE to edit videos. I'm going through two hundred years trying to figure out what works best :lol:

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover » April 3rd, 2020, 9:44 am

That's the price you pay for video editing. I used to do a lot about 15-20 or more years ago but it's never easy and the free or cheap video editors are pretty much all rubbish. Actually I started in about 1993 or 1994 and it was murder in those days. It got easier and better but now I can't be bothered to edit video so I just shoot unedited rubbish occasionally these days.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 3rd, 2020, 9:51 am

Ha! I was involved in a project (some time ago) where we literally spliced pieces of film together!
Drop and roll!

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » April 4th, 2020, 11:09 pm

KevinS wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 9:51 am
Ha! I was involved in a project (some time ago) where we literally spliced pieces of film together!
What's "film," Grandad? :?
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 5th, 2020, 5:43 pm

k5hsj wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 11:09 pm
KevinS wrote:
Hahaha! I bet you've never used carbon paper either!
Drop and roll!

k5hsj

Post by k5hsj » April 5th, 2020, 6:43 pm

KevinS wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 5:43 pm
k5hsj wrote:
KevinS wrote:
Ouch! Sounds like it’ud be tough on the tush! :shock:
Be kind. Be interesting. Be useful. Morality ain't hard.--Jack Butler, Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » April 6th, 2020, 12:12 am

k5hsj wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 6:43 pm
KevinS wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 5:43 pm
k5hsj wrote:

Ouch! Sounds like it’ud be tough on the tush! :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

That's a good one!