Does physical appearance and gender predict employability?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Horner94

Post by Horner94 » April 9th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Dear Librivoxers,

I am doing some research and would be interested to know whether or not you agree physical appearance and gender predicts employability, and if so, why?

Best regards,
Chad

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 9th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Yes.

If you are really doing serious research you need to ask something that will give you a better answer than this.

Anne

Horner94

Post by Horner94 » April 9th, 2020, 5:46 pm

annise wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 5:39 pm
Yes.

If you are really doing serious research you need to ask something that will give you a better answer than this.

Anne
Firstly, can you elaborate your answer?

Secondly, I would like to narrow down employability to industries, such as airlines, schools, etc, or do you feel physical attraction and gender would be more important for paid teaching roles, rather than volunteer tutors?

Many thanks,
Chad

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 9th, 2020, 5:57 pm

I think if you look through Google Scholar you'll find quite a bit regarding gender studies.
Drop and roll!

Horner94

Post by Horner94 » April 9th, 2020, 6:01 pm

KevinS wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 5:57 pm
I think if you look through Google Scholar you'll find quite a bit regarding gender studies.
Thanks, though you are also welcome to give your personal opinion.

PS: I am primarily focusing on facial appearance/attraction, meaning everything from the neck down is currently not being investigated in relation to employability, unless someone can justify why physiology, or the whole body, would be considered for a job role, such as a teaching role, etc.

Many thanks,
Chad

ej400

Post by ej400 » April 9th, 2020, 10:19 pm

I find that people try to do what they love, and if that doesn't work out, then you have to go with the flow :D

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » April 9th, 2020, 10:39 pm

How about you tell us what this
research
is for. All you have said so far it seems far too general to be a research project. If it's school or college work you need to decide beforehand all the details. At the moment the "facial" bit sounds like an online dating service. If you want worthwhile answers you need worthwhile thought before starting, at the moment it sounds like something you are making up as you go ?

Anne

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » April 10th, 2020, 4:32 am

And if you want to do "proper research" rather than an "oh, I just asked some random strangers on the internet" kind of survey, somebody already pointed you to google scholar. Which is the best place to start.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

Horner94

Post by Horner94 » April 10th, 2020, 4:42 am

Availle wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 4:32 am
And if you want to do "proper research" rather than an "oh, I just asked some random strangers on the internet" kind of survey, somebody already pointed you to google scholar. Which is the best place to start.
Hello, what is your problem? Are you trying to be sarcastic? Yeah, I am using my University's search engine, prefereably; and this is for University.

When you say "facial" is like online dating, how is it? Many employers have pictures of applicants prior to interviews so they can engage better with them, I presume?

I appreciate this might be an unconfortable topic for some to talk about, if so please do not feel obliged to contribute, if that is the case.

PS. I wanted to ask out of curiosity, and informally.

Interestingly, King Solomon says in Proverbs 31:30: Favour [is] deceitful, and beauty [is] vain: [but] a woman [that] feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

Best wishes,
Chad
Last edited by Horner94 on April 10th, 2020, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Horner94

Post by Horner94 » April 10th, 2020, 5:07 am

ej400 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:19 pm
I find that people try to do what they love, and if that doesn't work out, then you have to go with the flow :D
Thats lovely! Do you mean applicants applying for a job dont worry too much about their appearance, and if unsuccessful apply for something else?

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle » April 10th, 2020, 6:45 am

Ava has a really valid and good point here. for any research to be meaningful, especially in a scholarly context, your methods have to match your research question.
if your main question is "do physical appearance and gender predict employability, and if so why?" then asking random people on the internet will not help you accurately or meaningfully answer that.

if your question is actually "do audiobook volunteers on the internet generally agree that physical appearance and gender predict employability?" then you may have a more decent reason for posting your question here.

if this is for a class assignment, I'd encourage you to talk to your instructor about this stuff.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 10th, 2020, 7:01 am

What you are doing is collecting anecdotal commentary and that's fine, to a point. Journalists do it all the time.

The issue of physical appearance and employment is interesting, of course, but wrought with so many stereotypes. Without a doubt, some careers used to be filled with attractive young woman. I don't know how this was done legally, but I'm talking about 50 and 60 years ago. Flight attendants, for instance, were almost all young females. The few males were always assumed to be gay. In another line, a married man could not always chose an attractive female for a secretary because his wife would object. It all sounds foolish today, but I think some of it still goes on.

Perhaps, Chad, you could create a brief questionaire (sp?) on another Web page and point us to it. I would answer question somewhere else, not that this thing is frowned upon on LV, but I think you'd get a better response in this way.
Drop and roll!

lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover » April 10th, 2020, 7:23 am

I thought this forum was primarily to promote the recording of books etc., and not about doing "University" research. If the OP is not interested in audiobooks maybe he/she would be better off using a more appropriate forum?

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 10th, 2020, 7:37 am

lurcherlover wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 7:23 am
I thought this forum was primarily to promote the recording of books etc., and not about doing "University" research. If the OP is not interested in audiobooks maybe he/she would be better off using a more appropriate forum?
Chad is quite active with recording. I can't think of a forum for off topic stuff and nonsense better than this thread where we can discuss knitting.

Which reminds me of the large and powerfully-built African-American football player who knitted. It was quite a thing, and used as an example to take down gender-based stereotypes.
Drop and roll!

schrm

Post by schrm » April 10th, 2020, 12:06 pm

what i know, there are different opinions on this between usa europe.
in american application letters and cv it isn't mandatory to put a foto.
in europe, we have to do it and are even asked to do so in most job offers around.

that said, there are many aspects and from racism to physical abilities (required to do the job?) many of these aspects may interfer.
also, we human beings are just animals and according to some thinking schools, that's the base for our thinking and doing.
also, attractiveness appeals to our fertility-related instincts.
but, who knows why some men shave body hair, while some women find body hair attractive?
or why there are so many partnerships long going, where one is deemed attractive, the other not?
and: are there so many?

so, most interesting for me are studies, which sent the same application letters and cvs with fotos and without, with "normal" names ad with "foreign" names, and so on.
they also did similar studies with school teachers, pairing comments about their parents and personalities or hobbies with tests to be marked.
and the results wer all the same: from wealth of parents, to names, to attractiveness levels, everything had consequences - and the applicaions, cv's and the tests in different subjects got answers from positive to negative, despite being the same.

or so told me some newspapers, long ago, and some internet research, and so on..
it even had an effect on my own experiences, fotos and eg clothing style for applications.

/reader/12275
cc welcome! my skills improve from pl notes that cite when my english pronunciation is way off, or when words are missing.
thx!

en: lay down your arms, essays on art by goethe

de: sammlung prosa, rousseau, hoffmann: sommerfrische