[A Question] About Psalms [F.F.T.]

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 11th, 2020, 8:58 am

Hi,

Please help me. I'm looking for alias names (subtitles) of 150 psalms.

I want to learn Psalms by heart. If a psalm number can call the outline (the unique image), my small brain could also call the outline.

Do you have the list? [This is a family friendly topic (F.F.T.). The list can also help kids.]
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
No way. He stole away a pretty thing, you know.
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

Monaxi

Post by Monaxi » April 11th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Hello, CSCO,

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but it is an interesting topic. As for the Psalm numbering, it is different depending on which text you are using, for instance KJV vs LXX.

I'm not aware of any standardized list of subtitles. Psalms are often referred to by part or all of their first lines. Again, this will be different depending upon the translation used.

Best wishes on this project!
Peace be with you,
Sister

CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 12th, 2020, 8:51 am

Hi, Monaxi-san.

Thanks for your suggestion. Well, the Greek Bible has Psalm 151 and psalm numbers in Dr. Luther's writings are odd. Well. well, I see.
Monaxi wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Psalms are often referred to by part or all of their first lines.
This is helpful information.
!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!
That's your heart.
!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!.!!!!!!!!!..!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!...!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!.!!!!!!

CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 12th, 2020, 10:01 am

CSCO wrote:
April 11th, 2020, 8:58 am
If a psalm number can call the outline (the unique image), my small brain could also call the outline.
In short, I wanted to assciate a psalm number with a reminder. For example, Psalm 1 with EVERGREEN. But I want to use the first lines as subtitiles. Because I am a lazy man...
That's your heart.

andybeddy

Post by andybeddy » April 25th, 2020, 2:42 am

Hi there. I read this post and Thought, "I'm sure the Psalms already have titles, don't they?" I was surprised to find they don't. In my Bible they do have little subtititles that say something like, "For the director of music. To the tune of 'Do not destroy.' A Psalm of Asaph, a song." (Ps 76). I think that might be a little longwinded for a catchy title though!

As an aside, I've noticed a lot of the Psalms are meant to be sung to a tune. Does anyone know what those tunes sounded like? I'm curious for that now.

CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 25th, 2020, 9:13 am

Hi,
andybeddy wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 2:42 am
In my Bible they do have little subtititles that say something like, "For the director of music. To the tune of 'Do not destroy.' A Psalm of Asaph, a song." (Ps 76).
There are many duplicate subtititles.

As an aside, Luku 1:46-55 is called Magnificat because the hymn begins with 'Magnificat anima mea dominum.' in the Vulgate. I suppose Latin Bible has the index (keywords for my scheme) because medival churches were never empty. However my Bible is not Vulgate but CEV.
andybeddy wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 2:42 am
Does anyone know what those tunes sounded like? I'm curious for that now.
I did know once, but I have forgotten. (I'm a guardian of time.)
That's your heart.

Monaxi

Post by Monaxi » April 25th, 2020, 9:20 am

Is the Vulgate online?
Peace be with you,
Sister

CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 25th, 2020, 9:35 am

No. The information came from the preface of Magnigicat (by Martin Luther) by Japanese translators.

マリヤの讃歌 他一篇 
ISBN 4-00-338083-5
That's your heart.

CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 25th, 2020, 9:46 am

No, no.

I suppose the scheme is in monks' minds as tips. Night!
That's your heart.

CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 28th, 2020, 10:35 am

I suppose this is the Psalm 152 melody somehow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo7VlD66ISM
I laughed at him several times but he makes me weep many times always.

Chick, you are my Dulcinea!
That's your heart.

andybeddy

Post by andybeddy » April 29th, 2020, 5:27 am

Monaxi wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 9:20 am
Is the Vulgate online?
The best i can find is here;
http://www.latinvulgate.com/

CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 29th, 2020, 7:11 am

I cannot read the Vulgate...
That's your heart.

KevinS

Post by KevinS » April 29th, 2020, 4:50 pm

The 'titles' of the psalms are a source of great confusion, contention, and one might even say controversy.

What I might suggest to you is to find a psalter you like and write down any titles you find there. From this list, you could memorize the psalms using the list's titles as a means of prompting your memory to some extent.

This is the text of one psalter that provides quite a lot for prayer and study: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A27790.0001.001/1:7?rgn=div1;view=toc

As an example, what we generally see as the first psalm is clearly for morning prayer. (Not that it can be contained to that purpose, but it is a good starting point for the day.) Other liturgical uses are suggested by the 'titles' you'll find in this text.
Drop and roll!

Monaxi

Post by Monaxi » April 29th, 2020, 4:56 pm

KevinS, this is beautiful! Thank you for posting this link.
Peace be with you,
Sister

CSCO

Post by CSCO » April 30th, 2020, 2:34 am

Thank you very much, KevinS-san!
That's your heart.