2021 Librivox Goals (and how did you do in 2020?)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » January 1st, 2021, 10:20 am

Piotrek81 wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 10:01 am
In case you want to start with something more modest, this thread lists 3 abandoned projects in French: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22757 :)
Thanks, I've seen that. I'm not personally very interested in two of them, and I think the original text of Montaigne would be too challenging for most readers, due to his antiquated language and liberal use of Latin. Montaigne recordings on our sister project LitteratureAudio.com are (almost?) exclusively in a modern French translation.

Michael

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » January 1st, 2021, 11:20 am

Kazbek wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 9:53 am

Also, I'm planning to do an unusual "twin" solo project: a history of Russian literature in English, coupled with an anthology of works discussed there (excerpts from longer works), read in the original.

Michael
Hi, Michael!
I actually wanted to suggest another "twin" project for you) История одного города Салтыкова-Щедрина as "fake historical" "twin" o for your Russian history project. But I didn't know you dealt with the literature only)

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » January 1st, 2021, 12:09 pm

HannaPonomarenko wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 11:20 am
Hi, Michael!
I actually wanted to suggest another "twin" project for you) История одного города Салтыкова-Щедрина as "fake historical" "twin" o for your Russian history project. But I didn't know you dealt with the literature only)
Ah, yes, I remember this book very vividly from my childhood, though more for the illustrations by the Kukryniksy than the text itself. I think I'll leave that one for more accomplished readers... voice acting isn't my forte. I probably won't resist contributing A.K. Tolstoy's verse parody of Karamzin to the short works collection, though.

M.

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » January 1st, 2021, 12:24 pm

Kazbek wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 12:09 pm
HannaPonomarenko wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 11:20 am
Hi, Michael!
Ah, yes, I remember this book very vividly from my childhood, though more for the illustrations by the Kukryniksy than the text itself. I think I'll leave that one for more accomplished readers... voice acting isn't my forte. I probably won't resist contributing A.K. Tolstoy's verse parody of Karamzin to the short works collection, though.

M.
Cool)

jennlea

Post by jennlea » January 1st, 2021, 8:59 pm

I didn't have any true goals set for myself last year other than to learn the ropes and get experience in recording, editing, and PLing.

I did all those things! Recorded 3 solos, was DPL for several projects, did quite a few plays, and even started to edit a one-act play.

Goals for 2021:
-Continue to do solos. Specifically I would love to find a non-fiction book on Opera and focus of female authors
-Continue to do plays and dramatic readings
-BC a play
-BC a book or 2
-Continue to DPL things that strike my fancy
-And a goal on recording technique: work on not breathing like an asthmatic rhinoceros trying to run a marathon.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Running a little behind on PL’s and recordings. Will catch up as soon as I can!

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » January 1st, 2021, 9:27 pm

jennlea wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 8:59 pm
an asthmatic rhinoceros trying to run a marathon.
I came across one of those on New Year's Eve. He asked, "Whooooaa, how many drinks have you had?!" :lol:

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

Come and assist Doctor Pangloss instruct the Baron in the proper use of his conjugals and declensions in our new play "The Heir At Law"

ColleenMc

Post by ColleenMc » January 2nd, 2021, 7:24 am

jennlea wrote:
I didn't have any true goals set for myself last year other than to learn the ropes and get experience in recording, editing, and PLing.

I did all those things! Recorded 3 solos, was DPL for several projects, did quite a few plays, and even started to edit a one-act play.

Goals for 2021:
-Continue to do solos. Specifically I would love to find a non-fiction book on Opera and focus of female authors
-Continue to do plays and dramatic readings
-BC a play
-BC a book or 2
-Continue to DPL things that strike my fancy
-And a goal on recording technique: work on not breathing like an asthmatic rhinoceros trying to run a marathon.
These look like great goals! I have a goal on recording technique too -- finally find an arrangement that helps me not pop so many p's!

As for your goal to focus on female authors, might I recommend this thread in Suggestions? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83785
I intend to add to it regularly, probably in chunks of 8-10 books from the bibliography (that are available online -- so many interesting-sounding ones are not :(

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai

jennlea

Post by jennlea » January 2nd, 2021, 8:16 am

ColleenMc wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 7:24 am

As for your goal to focus on female authors, might I recommend this thread in Suggestions? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83785
I intend to add to it regularly, probably in chunks of 8-10 books from the bibliography (that are available online -- so many interesting-sounding ones are not :(

Colleen
This is fantastic! Thank you! I've bookmarked it :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 2nd, 2021, 8:35 am

jennlea wrote:
Specifically I would love to find a non-fiction book on Opera...
Me, too!

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » January 2nd, 2021, 9:35 am

KevinS wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 8:35 am
jennlea wrote:
Specifically I would love to find a non-fiction book on Opera...
Me, too!
Some ideas...

History of the Opera from its Origin in Italy to the present Time by Sutherland Edwards (1862)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40164

The Perfect Wagnerite: A Commentary on the Niblung's Ring by Bernard Shaw
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1487

The Complete Opera Book by Gustav Kobbé (1919)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40540
Reference book with lots of short musical examples and foreign phrases... might be a future challenge for me!

Michael

jennlea

Post by jennlea » January 2nd, 2021, 10:07 am

Kazbek wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 9:35 am

Some ideas...

History of the Opera from its Origin in Italy to the present Time by Sutherland Edwards (1862)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40164

The Perfect Wagnerite: A Commentary on the Niblung's Ring by Bernard Shaw
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1487

The Complete Opera Book by Gustav Kobbé (1919)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40540
Reference book with lots of short musical examples and foreign phrases... might be a future challenge for me!

Michael
Ooo! Thank you! I will check these out :)
-Jenn B.
My Recordings

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas » January 2nd, 2021, 3:00 pm

KevinS wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 5:57 pm
MaryInArkansas and I are planning to celebrate 200 years of the Saturday Evening Post by preparing a group project that will cover a portion of the interesting work published in the SEP in its first 100 years of material. We don't know if it will be a modest 20 sections or a multi-volume collection as of yet. It's a treasure trove of news, opinion, and literature.
That we are...Hi Kevin! :)

The very early issues of the SEP are hard to find online, but there are some. There are a lot available starting with the early 20th century.

One issue from 1863 has a chapter from a novel by Mrs. Henry Wood (Ellen Price) probably best known for her novel "East Lynne", which is in LibriVox. The portion of the novel in the Post is "Squire Trevlyn's Heir." I know that several famous writers wrote for the SEP (and other magazines) and many of their books first came out in the Post in serialized form. I wonder if there's any list available of which writers had works first published in the Saturday Evening Post, and what those items were?
Mary

“A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it.” – Samuel Johnson

Marsupial's Books

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 2nd, 2021, 3:03 pm

MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas » January 2nd, 2021, 3:56 pm

Great link,Kevin. Here’s a Wikipedia SEP link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saturday_Evening_Post Check out the Literature paragraph for several famous people who wrote for the Post. (Sadly, several not copyright free) :|

Mrs. Wood was a British writer, so it seems the Post must have had contracts with writers from other countries, as well as American writers.
Mary

“A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it.” – Samuel Johnson

Marsupial's Books

KevinS

Post by KevinS » January 2nd, 2021, 4:21 pm

MaryinArkansas wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 3:56 pm
Great link,Kevin. Here’s a Wikipedia SEP link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saturday_Evening_Post Check out the Literature paragraph for several famous people who wrote for the Post. (Sadly, several not copyright free) :|

Mrs. Wood was a British writer, so it seems the Post must have had contracts with writers from other countries, as well as American writers.
I wonder if we should just focus on short stories? You may have led us to the best way to reflect the SEP's literary contributions, if not all of its news, etc...