FULL [PLAY] Peg O' My Heart by J. Hartley Manners-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
Kalamareader
Posts: 1255
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » December 26th, 2020, 10:48 am

jennlea wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 6:09 am
Kalamareader wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 6:57 pm
Jenn,

That was amazing. I will listen to this play when it is finished just to be able to hear your wonderful characterization again and in context. And you singing was out of this world.

Now down to business. Three things for you to look at (that is an amazingly small number with a recording this long).

3:25: I want to tell you I'd have a much sweeter disposition if you wouldn't talk against my father. I heard I'd have such a sweeter disposition…

33:36.5: We'll talk when we get upstairs. I heard “walk.”

34:04: I"ll do all the talking, though what the devil I'll say I don't know. Missed the word “all”. Your call.

I can't wait to listen to Act III.

Wayne
Thank you, Wayne for your kind words and notes! She was a fun role to record! Here are the corrections for Act 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_peg_2_128kb.mp3
Perfect! PLOK :thumbs:
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Kalamareader
Posts: 1255
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » December 26th, 2020, 12:00 pm

epopa0epopa wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:53 am
I just uploaded act 1 for brent! Let me know if you have any feedback for it. :D

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_christian_brent_1_128kb.mp3
Jason,

Again welcome to Librivox. First I would like to apologize for how long it took to get Act I PLed, but I just started PLing this project four days ago, and I tried to get all the ones that had not been done yet, but somehow I missed yours. Then when you posted the second Act, I looked back and saw that I had missed it. Sorry again.

Now to the recording. Your contribution was word perfect and the characterization was amazing. You have a great voice and I hope you continue with your new 'hobby' :clap: .

A couple of things that are unique to plays on Librivox. Where there are Stage Directions in the middle of a speech, we still need the 3-5 seconds of silence so the editor can insert the Stage Directions. This came up a few times in your recording. If you could go in and make these corrections and then repost it, I will just check it again (Spot PL) and then give you a PLOK.

Here are the spots. I am sure you can figure out where the pauses should be. Oh, yes, when making corrections it is much easier if you start at the one nearest the end of the recording, then the "time stamps" are still at the same point from the beginning (if that makes sense).
:36, 3:12, 4:50, 5:51, 7:56, 8:41, 9:14 and 9:44

Also at 10:42 Even though there is a “-” between the “to” and the “morrow”, there isn't a 'pause', that is just the way it was written when the play was written, so it should be corrected.

Also, since you are going to be in the recording anyway, the end of recording only has to be 4 or 5 seconds. You can cut off about 10 seconds.

This whole process is a learning experience, but it is still fun and enjoyable and will get more so the more experience you get.

Wayne

Edit: Also, he file names in a play really only have to be identifiable to the editor, so in your case, "Brent" would have been enough, also, the name of the character should not be broken up by a "_", so '...pegomyheart_christianbrent_1_128kb.mp3' or '...pegomyheart_brent_1_128kb.mp3' would be acceptable as the last part of the file name.
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Kalamareader
Posts: 1255
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » December 26th, 2020, 12:38 pm

epopa0epopa wrote:
December 25th, 2020, 9:59 am
Here's act 2 for Brent!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_christian_bren_2_128kb.mp3


Happy holidays everyone!
As suspected, as you didn't have Act I PLed in a timely fashion, there are a couple of speeches that have the same situation with the spacing for the Stage Directions. The very first one at :16 has a lot of those and also the third one starting at 1:25. Also you could cut about 7 seconds off the ending.

There was one word misspoke at 5:41 I just called to say good-bye. I heard wanted. Not much change in meaning. If you want to correct it, you can.

Thanks again for a great job.

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

epopa0epopa
Posts: 11
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 8:44 am

Post by epopa0epopa » December 27th, 2020, 5:28 am

Kalamareader wrote:
December 26th, 2020, 12:38 pm
epopa0epopa wrote:
December 25th, 2020, 9:59 am
Here's act 2 for Brent!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_christian_bren_2_128kb.mp3


Happy holidays everyone!
As suspected, as you didn't have Act I PLed in a timely fashion, there are a couple of speeches that have the same situation with the spacing for the Stage Directions. The very first one at :16 has a lot of those and also the third one starting at 1:25. Also you could cut about 7 seconds off the ending.

There was one word misspoke at 5:41 I just called to say good-bye. I heard wanted. Not much change in meaning. If you want to correct it, you can.

Thanks again for a great job.

Wayne
Hey Wayne! Here's the ammended lines for brent.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_brent_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_brent_2_128kb.mp3

Thank you for your feedback and your kind words (and your patience with me learning how to properly edit submissions). I believe I did everything right this time, let me know if that's not the case! You've been very helpful and informative and I think you're doing a great job as a PL. :)
Jason.

jennlea
Posts: 1401
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Post by jennlea » December 27th, 2020, 8:05 am

Kalamareader wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 7:32 pm

Again, a couple of things to fix:

11:17: I thought of ye all last night. You left out the word “all”. I think it really adds to the meaning of the sentence.

12:14: It isn't every girl has the bringing up I had from my father. I heard “wasn't”.

12:33: Missed last part of speech: All right. The door is shut. (pg 126)

And it all came our right in the end. :clap:

Wayne
And here are Act 3 corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_peg_3_128kb.mp3
-Jenn B.
My Recordings

Kalamareader
Posts: 1255
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » December 30th, 2020, 12:36 pm

You did a great job in your corrections in both chapters. Chapter 1 (volume 88.8) PLOK :thumbs:

But in Chapter 2, you ran into something that we, as readers, often don't think about. The two large section that you changed are considerably louder than the rest of the recording, in fact they are outside the parameters for LV. They are both over 92. What we need to do when we add sections to a previous recording is to listen to them along with the previous stuff and see if it sounds about the same. If they don't, either too loud or too quite, highlight that area and click on "Effect" then "Amplify" (if you are using Audacity). The name is a little deceiving because you can 'deamplify' using it. There is a 'slide' controller under the number which is highlighted and you can use that to make the section selected quieter (or louder). After you slide it, listen to that part of the recording again and then tweek it until the volume for the new section is the same (or very close) to the previously recorded sections.

Sorry to have you do all this again, but we all have had to go through the learning process. :shock:

Keep up the good work! I really am enjoying your interpretation of the lines. They are great. This sounds like this is not the first time you have done something like this. :D

Wayne

Edit: Something I just remembered. For plays, you only have to do the 'intro', your character and your name, on the first act you appear in. The editor will take that and put it in at the very beginning of the play along with all the other 'readers'. That will be your 'attribution' for your part for the entire play.
Last edited by Kalamareader on December 30th, 2020, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

Kalamareader
Posts: 1255
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » December 30th, 2020, 12:51 pm

jennlea wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 8:05 am
Kalamareader wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 7:32 pm

Again, a couple of things to fix:

11:17: I thought of ye all last night. You left out the word “all”. I think it really adds to the meaning of the sentence.

12:14: It isn't every girl has the bringing up I had from my father. I heard “wasn't”.

12:33: Missed last part of speech: All right. The door is shut. (pg 126)

And it all came our right in the end. :clap:

Wayne
And here are Act 3 corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_peg_3_128kb.mp3
Jenn,

Perfect! Peg is now PLOK :thumbs:

One little comment, when I was SpotPLing this, I caught these three sentences: She doesn't understand children. You can't raise them in a hothouse. You've got to thrust them out into the cold wind and let them get used to it while they're young. A little background on this last sentence. When I was living in England years ago, I thought it interesting that in the winter they would put their babies outside in the cold in their prams (baby buggies) on the front porch because they really believed that that would make the child stronger and healthier. Interesting that that thought process would be used by the author as an example how to raise you children in another sense.

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

epopa0epopa
Posts: 11
Joined: November 1st, 2020, 8:44 am

Post by epopa0epopa » December 31st, 2020, 7:32 am

Kalamareader wrote:
December 30th, 2020, 12:36 pm
You did a great job in your corrections in both chapters. Chapter 1 (volume 88.8) PLOK :thumbs:

But in Chapter 2, you ran into something that we, as readers, often don't think about. The two large section that you changed are considerably louder than the rest of the recording, in fact they are outside the parameters for LV. They are both over 92. What we need to do when we add sections to a previous recording is to listen to them along with the previous stuff and see if it sounds about the same. If they don't, either too loud or too quite, highlight that area and click on "Effect" then "Amplify" (if you are using Audacity). The name is a little deceiving because you can 'deamplify' using it. There is a 'slide' controller under the number which is highlighted and you can use that to make the section selected quieter (or louder). After you slide it, listen to that part of the recording again and then tweak it until the volume for the new section is the same (or very close) to the previously recorded sections.

Sorry to have you do all this again, but we all have had to go through the learning process. :shock:

Keep up the good work! I really am enjoying your interpretation of the lines. They are great. This sounds like this is not the first time you have done something like this. :D

Wayne

Edit: Something I just remembered. For plays, you only have to do the 'intro', your character and your name, on the first act you appear in. The editor will take that and put it in at the very beginning of the play along with all the other 'readers'. That will be your 'attribution' for your part for the entire play.
Oh it's no problem! If anything it's my fault for getting it wrong, so here's the corrections for act 2! I deamplified the louder sections and removed my intoduction at the start. Let me know if there's anything else that needs fixing with this one. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_brent_2_128kb.mp3
Jason.

Kalamareader
Posts: 1255
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » December 31st, 2020, 2:35 pm

epopa0epopa wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 7:32 am

Oh it's no problem! If anything it's my fault for getting it wrong, so here's the corrections for act 2! I deamplified the louder sections and removed my intoduction at the start. Let me know if there's anything else that needs fixing with this one. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_brent_2_128kb.mp3
Brent,

Very well done. PLOK :thumbs:. I am sure the next one will be easier. Please keep it up.

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

alanmapstone
Posts: 2809
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » December 31st, 2020, 2:44 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
December 23rd, 2020, 11:58 pm
alanmapstone wrote:
December 23rd, 2020, 2:28 am
Hawkes act 1 corrected
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_hawkes_1.mp3
13.52
I am not convinced that either of these mistakes significantly changes the sense of what I say, but I have corrected them anyway.
Seemless. PLOK :thumbs:
Hi
This is still marked Ready for Spot PL in MW :hmm:
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

Kalamareader
Posts: 1255
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » December 31st, 2020, 2:50 pm

alanmapstone wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 2:44 pm
Kalamareader wrote:
December 23rd, 2020, 11:58 pm
alanmapstone wrote:
December 23rd, 2020, 2:28 am
Hawkes act 1 corrected
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_hawkes_1.mp3
13.52
I am not convinced that either of these mistakes significantly changes the sense of what I say, but I have corrected them anyway.
Seemless. PLOK :thumbs:
Hi
This is still marked Ready for Spot PL in MW :hmm:
I know, and the two of Peg's that say "See PL notes", have been corrected by the reader and spot PLed and noted as PLOK in the posts.
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

alanmapstone
Posts: 2809
Joined: February 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm
Location: Oxford

Post by alanmapstone » December 31st, 2020, 4:41 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 2:50 pm
alanmapstone wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 2:44 pm
This is still marked Ready for Spot PL in MW :hmm:
I know, and the two of Peg's that say "See PL notes", have been corrected by the reader and spot PLed and noted as PLOK in the posts.
Hi Wayne
Has nobody explained to you that as DPL you have access to the MW and can change these things yourself?
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

Kalamareader
Posts: 1255
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » December 31st, 2020, 4:49 pm

When I first PLed about three weeks ago, I was told that PLer's didn't have access to the MW. I was PLing for the BC of a book, and she said she would handle it as PLer's don't have access. If I had access I could do it. Do I just access it as I do on a Solo?

Wayne

Edit. I just went in and saw that I could. I will get on it right away.

:mrgreen:
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8025
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » December 31st, 2020, 11:48 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
December 31st, 2020, 4:49 pm
When I first PLed about three weeks ago, I was told that PLer's didn't have access to the MW. I was PLing for the BC of a book, and she said she would handle it as PLer's don't have access. If I had access I could do it. Do I just access it as I do on a Solo?

Wayne

Edit. I just went in and saw that I could. I will get on it right away.

:mrgreen:
On that other project a few weeks ago, were you DPL, or were you just helping out with sections that didn't have a DPL? There's a big difference. As DPL, you do have access. But we can't give access to everyone who pops into the thread to PL a section or two if the project is lacking a DPL.

Andrewjames
Posts: 97
Joined: May 29th, 2020, 1:00 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by Andrewjames » January 7th, 2021, 1:54 pm


Post Reply