COMPLETE[PLAY]The Cradle Song by Sierra - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mamatiff82

Post by mamatiff82 » February 2nd, 2021, 11:19 am

hi Todd, I did post a 1 minute test. Here is the link below.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_mamatiff82.mp3

ToddHW wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 11:29 am
mamatiff82 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 11:21 am
Hello.
Might I read the Mistress of Novices in Act 1 and 2? Thank you!
-Tiffany
Thank you, welcome to Librivox, and more specifically to the drama forum. Please do the One Minute Test so we know your equipment is all set up properly. Did you also get the addiction warning?

Most of how things work is the same everywhere at Librivox, but there are a few special things about dramas. Here is a short summary of the important special rules:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which for your role should be: "The Mistress of Novices, aged 36, read by XXXX (your chosen catalog name)"

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it (don't re=record the entire thing! that makes more work for everyone and risks new errors) and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 2nd, 2021, 11:53 am

Did you post the link in the Listener's Wanted forum where people with better hearing than me could find it?

Thanks, Todd

mamatiff82

Post by mamatiff82 » February 8th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Hi,
I have recorded but need a little help with uploading? Can you direct me where to do that? Thank you!
ToddHW wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 11:29 am
mamatiff82 wrote:
January 21st, 2021, 11:21 am
Hello.
Might I read the Mistress of Novices in Act 1 and 2? Thank you!
-Tiffany
Thank you, welcome to Librivox, and more specifically to the drama forum. Please do the One Minute Test so we know your equipment is all set up properly. Did you also get the addiction warning?

Most of how things work is the same everywhere at Librivox, but there are a few special things about dramas. Here is a short summary of the important special rules:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which for your role should be: "The Mistress of Novices, aged 36, read by XXXX (your chosen catalog name)"

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it (don't re=record the entire thing! that makes more work for everyone and risks new errors) and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 9th, 2021, 9:26 am

Tiffany, here are some instructions.
[*]AFTER recording
Save files as 128 kbps MP3
cradlesong_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Thanks, Todd

mamatiff82

Post by mamatiff82 » February 9th, 2021, 12:43 pm

Here is my recording for Act 1.
I will wait for approval before posting Act 2. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cradlesong_[mistressofnovices]_[1]_128kb.mp3.mp3

Tiffany Cadenhead

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 10th, 2021, 3:38 am

mamatiff82 wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 12:43 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cradlesong_[mistressofnovices]_[1]_128kb.mp3.mp3
:clap: a wonderful performance, Tiffany, I really enjoyed it so much. I see we have some interaction in the dialogue (I am the stern Vicaress), which is great as you seem to play the good cop to my bad cop :lol: The characters are so opposite that it really makes a great contrast.

As far as I can see, nothing missing, you even caught all the group lines. :thumbs: Straight PL ok, and I'm looking forward to Act 2.

Just a note for future file names: the brackets [ ] are only in the example post to show what needs to be written there (act number and role), but you don't have to include the brackets in your filename. No need to reupload this act but it's for future consideration.

Congrats on your debut in our crazy drama group. :mrgreen: Hopefully many more to come.

Thanks

Sonia

mamatiff82

Post by mamatiff82 » February 11th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 3:38 am
mamatiff82 wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 12:43 pm
:clap: a wonderful performance, Tiffany, I really enjoyed it so much. I see we have some interaction in the dialogue (I am the stern Vicaress), which is great as you seem to play the good cop to my bad cop :lol: The characters are so opposite that it really makes a great contrast.

As far as I can see, nothing missing, you even caught all the group lines. :thumbs: Straight PL ok, and I'm looking forward to Act 2.

Just a note for future file names: the brackets [ ] are only in the example post to show what needs to be written there (act number and role), but you don't have to include the brackets in your filename. No need to reupload this act but it's for future consideration.

Congrats on your debut in our crazy drama group. :mrgreen: Hopefully many more to come.

Thanks

Sonia
Thank you for the kind words and the note on naming the file. :)

GretaBui

Post by GretaBui » February 14th, 2021, 6:57 am

Hi!

Is it ok if I send Antonio's part by the end of next week? Not sure if there's a month or two months period given to record.

Regards,
Greta

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 14th, 2021, 7:41 am

Two months are allowed for each claim, as stated in the first post. Essentially standard across the Librivox universe with only minor exceptions.

So you have until 15 March for your 15 Jan claim on Antonio. Earlier, is, of course, much appreciated. But not required.

Thanks, Todd

GretaBui

Post by GretaBui » February 14th, 2021, 9:07 am

Ok thanks! I will have it next week :)

GretaBui

Post by GretaBui » February 22nd, 2021, 12:59 pm

Hello, here's Antonio's part. The length is 9.01 minutes. Hope it's good!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cradlesong_antonio_2_128kb.mp3

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 22nd, 2021, 4:17 pm

Thank you.

Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 23rd, 2021, 4:07 am

GretaBui wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 12:59 pm
Hello, here's Antonio's part. The length is 9.01 minutes. Hope it's good!
nicely done, Greta, thank you so much. :D I like it that you gave Antonio a much more stern and solemn tone when he spoke with the nuns, compared to the more warm-hearted and lighter voice with Teresa. :thumbs:

The sentences are all in if I didn't miss any. However, two very minor corrections to be made please:

> for the voice credit, please always include the full description, which you can see in the Magic Window, here: Antonio, aged 25, read by Greta Bui"

> at 8:56: (p. 67) "God go with you" – this is only spoken by the nuns, you can cut it out here

Also, a small piece of advice for future drama roles: please leave at least 2 or even 3 seconds of silence between each quote. It makes the editor's job much easier, to find and cut/paste the different speeches into a whole. No need to re-insert silences this time, Todd will manage for once, but maybe something to consider for your next recording.

I hope you liked the process of recording and we'll hear plenty more of you soon. :)

Sonia

GretaBui

Post by GretaBui » February 25th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback Sonia! Wasn't sure whether to leave longer silences in would be good or annoying haha. Sorry it took me a minute to make corrections.

Length: 8.59

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 26th, 2021, 12:26 am

GretaBui wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 5:07 pm
Wasn't sure whether to leave longer silences in would be good or annoying haha.
yes in the drama parts, long pauses are helpful for the editor who has to copy/paste each bit into a masterfile.

In straight chapter narrations, I personally find that pauses longer than 2 seconds feel much too dragged out and risk to throw one out of the heat of the plot. In my recordings I definitely try to stay under 1.5 seconds, even between paragraphs.

Oh and Antonio is now PL ok, thanks !

Sonia