[FULL] [DramReading] The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
benderca
Posts: 1944
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 12th, 2021, 4:59 pm

Hanglerfish wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 10:14 am
benderca wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 4:45 am
Hanglerfish wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 11:57 am
Hi!

I've recorded my remaining lines — think I sorted the noise-cleaning out for these ones :)

If you have any extra lines for me, I'd be delighted to read them!

Hannah
Thanks, Hannah!

I will be on the look out for more lines for you!

UPDATE: I gave you two lines in Chapter 6. :D
Brilliant! Which ones?
I updated the Chapter 6 file linked to the magic window -- check it out (formerly Woman 1 lines in Chapter 6).

UPDATE: Oops, sorry, I hadn't uploaded the newest file when I wrote that, but now it's up -- WOMAN 3.

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 498
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » February 12th, 2021, 10:54 pm

benderca wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 5:54 am
@Andrew:

In Chapter 6, pages 15-16, for example:

Her glance left me and sought the lighted top of the steps where ‘Three o’Clock in the Morning,’ a neat, sad little waltz of that year, was drifting out the open door.

This song seems to be PD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_O'Clock_in_the_Morning
Here's my attempt at Three O'Clock in the Morning...I'm certainly no singer, so I won't be offended in the least if you decide not to use it, but I gave it the old college try :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_klipspringer_6_128kb.mp3
Time: 1:03

If nothing else, this file has my updated voice credit. Thanks!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Hanglerfish
Posts: 26
Joined: January 12th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Post by Hanglerfish » February 13th, 2021, 2:32 am


benderca
Posts: 1944
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 13th, 2021, 4:35 am

OooThatsNifty wrote:
February 12th, 2021, 10:54 pm
benderca wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 5:54 am
@Andrew:

In Chapter 6, pages 15-16, for example:

Her glance left me and sought the lighted top of the steps where ‘Three o’Clock in the Morning,’ a neat, sad little waltz of that year, was drifting out the open door.

This song seems to be PD:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_O'Clock_in_the_Morning
Here's my attempt at Three O'Clock in the Morning...I'm certainly no singer, so I won't be offended in the least if you decide not to use it, but I gave it the old college try :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_klipspringer_6_128kb.mp3
Time: 1:03

If nothing else, this file has my updated voice credit. Thanks!
Nice! Thanks, Andrew! I'll definitely use it. I've now signed up officially as president of your fan club! :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

benderca
Posts: 1944
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 13th, 2021, 5:39 am

jennlea wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm
Here are Chapters 1, 3, and 4 for Jordan:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_jordon_01.mp3
2:55
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_jordon_03.mp3
3:12
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_jordon_04.mp3
10:08

ETA: Not sure how I managed to spell her name wrong in the files! Oh well :lol:
Chapters 1 & 3 are PL OK!


Chapter 4:

7:45 The line reads "...she used to know."
Please just cut out the "him" in "...she used to know him".
(I'll keep this version, though, and if I can't edit it seamlessly with Daisy's line "it must be the man...", I'll leave the "him" in).

Two optional corrections, which I'll just point out, but I think are fine to leave as is:

3:04
"By the next autumn she was gay again," (You leave out the "the" and say "by next autumn").

3:42:
I was bridesmaid. (You say: "I was a bridesmaid").


Beautiful reading, Jenn! I love your portrayal of Jordan!
Thanks,
TJ

benderca
Posts: 1944
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 13th, 2021, 5:53 am

MMMD2505 wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 3:05 pm
Here's Stella:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_stella_09_128kb.mp3

And here's Lucille:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_lucille_03_128kb.mp3
*laughing in the background is not my speciality... hope it will do!
Thanks, Magda!

I just noticed that your bit rate is 320 kbps, and it needs to be 128 kbps. I'm not sure what that means for my editing it into my master file -- I'll have to check with our Tech experts.

Make sure you download Librivox's Checker 0.96, and check your settings before you submit your files.


mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7799
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » February 13th, 2021, 8:02 am

benderca wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 5:53 am
Thanks, Magda!

I just noticed that your bit rate is 320 kbps, and it needs to be 128 kbps. I'm not sure what that means for my editing it into my master file -- I'll have to check with our Tech experts.

Make sure you download Librivox's Checker 0.96, and check your settings before you submit your files.
You should be able to work with it just fine. It should import into Audacity just like any other audio file, and then as long as you export with the right settings, you'll be ok.

However, Magda, you definitely will want to correct this setting for future submissions, including any corrections that may be needed on these.

benderca
Posts: 1944
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 13th, 2021, 8:30 am

mightyfelix wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 8:02 am
benderca wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 5:53 am
Thanks, Magda!

I just noticed that your bit rate is 320 kbps, and it needs to be 128 kbps. I'm not sure what that means for my editing it into my master file -- I'll have to check with our Tech experts.

Make sure you download Librivox's Checker 0.96, and check your settings before you submit your files.
You should be able to work with it just fine. It should import into Audacity just like any other audio file, and then as long as you export with the right settings, you'll be ok.

However, Magda, you definitely will want to correct this setting for future submissions, including any corrections that may be needed on these.
Thanks, Devorah!

SirenaRose
Posts: 18
Joined: November 28th, 2020, 1:33 pm
Location: United States

Post by SirenaRose » February 13th, 2021, 1:27 pm

I'm interested in being Woman 1 if that part is still unspoken for.
-SirenaRose

benderca
Posts: 1944
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 14th, 2021, 6:37 am

SirenaRose wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 1:27 pm
I'm interested in being Woman 1 if that part is still unspoken for.
-SirenaRose
Welcome, SirenaRose!

Yes, the part recently opened up again and is all yours. I see you've already passed your 3-minute test and watched some of Phil's fantastic instructional videos, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I can set you up a Catalogue Page as well if you tell me what you want your catalogue name in Librivox to be.

Have fun!
TJ

benderca
Posts: 1944
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 14th, 2021, 9:08 am

plaidsicle wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 8:02 pm
my two bit parts are recorded!

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_mrsmckee_02_128kb.mp3

I did a few variations for shrill laughing and startled scolding-- the editor can choose what/how to arrange or cut those to fit with the rest

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_horsewoman_06_128kb.mp3
Thank you, Amelia! Both Horse Woman and Mrs. McKee are PL OK! Far from being 2-bit parts, you've made them into memorable personalities. :clap:

I especially like your laughing and your ad-lib "scolding & consoling" -- nicely done. I was also considering doing some ad-lib party background conversations, meant to blend into the background as the main characters are conversing. If you are interested (in some truly 2-bit lines :lol: ), you could record a separate file with short background party comments, they don't have to make sense or fit together, but they should be 1920s vocabulary, so no modern slang :wink: .

(This request goes out to anyone with 2-bit parts, by the way :D ).



benderca
Posts: 1944
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 14th, 2021, 10:26 am

mightyfelix wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 8:02 am
benderca wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 5:53 am
MMMD2505 wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 3:05 pm
Here's Stella:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_stella_09_128kb.mp3

And here's Lucille:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/greatgatsby_lucille_03_128kb.mp3
*laughing in the background is not my speciality... hope it will do!

Thanks, Magda!

I just noticed that your bit rate is 320 kbps, and it needs to be 128 kbps. I'm not sure what that means for my editing it into my master file -- I'll have to check with our Tech experts.

Make sure you download Librivox's Checker 0.96, and check your settings before you submit your files.
You should be able to work with it just fine. It should import into Audacity just like any other audio file, and then as long as you export with the right settings, you'll be ok.

However, Magda, you definitely will want to correct this setting for future submissions, including any corrections that may be needed on these.
Aside from the bit rate, which I should be able to work with, Stella is PL OK! Nice reading, Magda!

For Lucille, Ch3, I have two little insignificant notes (optional):

At 0:26, you left out the "me" in "and he asked me my name and address—"
It makes sense and is fine as is, but it might make Gatsby sound a little more personable if "the great Gatsby" spoke to Lucille personally, rather than just inquiring as to who she is.

And you leave out the last one-word exclamation on page 18:

GIRL 1, LUCILLE, OWL EYES, MAN 2, WOMAN 1, WOMAN 2, WOMAN 3: ‘Ah-h-h!’

But there are enough people exclaiming, so only if you feel like it. :wink:

And as I suggested to Amelia (3 messages up), if you'd like to add some ad-lib background party comments and laughs, you could just plug them on the end of your Lucille file -- they don't have to make sense or fit together, but they should be 1920s vocabulary, so no modern slang :wink:

Thanks, Magda!
TJ

Post Reply