OPEN [Play]: Seven Keys to Baldpate by George M. Cohan-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
ADKreader1122
Posts: 896
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 10:48 am

Post by ADKreader1122 » January 28th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Hi Kelly,
Here are my PL notes for Act 1 Stage Directions; I hope they're okay.

13:32 please change "upstairs" to "upstage" in the phrase "...appears at door upstage and peers...";
18:46 change "flask" to "cases" in "Picks up cases from floor..."
45:59 add R. to the direction "Mrs. Rhodes runs R. screaming..."
1:01:17 Add two missing directions--"Myra puts lantern on desk and throws up her hands." "Laughs as Myra comes around desk R. to C. slowly.
1:10:21 change "appears" to "enters" in "Max enters and goes quickly up..."
1:21:48 "inside" should be "aside" in "Unlocks door L. and steps aside."

Thanks,
Lora

ktaylor07
Posts: 900
Joined: January 3rd, 2020, 12:33 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Post by ktaylor07 » January 28th, 2021, 1:32 pm

ADKreader1122 wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 12:08 pm
Hi Kelly,
Here are my PL notes for Act 1 Stage Directions; I hope they're okay.

13:32 please change "upstairs" to "upstage" in the phrase "...appears at door upstage and peers...";
18:46 change "flask" to "cases" in "Picks up cases from floor..."
45:59 add R. to the direction "Mrs. Rhodes runs R. screaming..."
1:01:17 Add two missing directions--"Myra puts lantern on desk and throws up her hands." "Laughs as Myra comes around desk R. to C. slowly.
1:10:21 change "appears" to "enters" in "Max enters and goes quickly up..."
1:21:48 "inside" should be "aside" in "Unlocks door L. and steps aside."

Thanks,
Lora
Yes -- I'll get these fixed right away!

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 261
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » January 28th, 2021, 5:42 pm

Here are Mrs. Quimby's parts. Let me know if I've gone too far in the direction of accent and too far from clear diction (or otherwise made bloopers)... this is my first time trying a dramatic reading and I'm still figuring things out, so I'm grateful for having started with a very short part. Thanks!
Act 1 duration 6:54
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/sevenkeystobaldpate_mrsquimby_1_128kb.mp3
Act 2 duration 1:04
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/sevenkeystobaldpate_mrsquimby_2_128kb.mp3

MManolakes
Posts: 413
Joined: January 26th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by MManolakes » January 28th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Thanks, Joanna! I thought the accent worked very well for the character -- nice job! One suggestion for future efforts: leave more space, at least three seconds, between lines. It makes editing the speeches together much easier.

Mike

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 500
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » January 29th, 2021, 12:40 am

If you'll have me, I'd love to claim Magee!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

JoannaHoyt
Posts: 261
Joined: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 am
Location: Orwell, NY, USA
Contact:

Post by JoannaHoyt » January 29th, 2021, 4:04 am

MManolakes wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 9:20 pm
One suggestion for future efforts: leave more space, at least three seconds, between lines. It makes editing the speeches together much easier.

Mike
Thank you! I think I read 2-5, but I can see why longer would be better. Shall I expand the spaces and reupload the files, or is having to replace them in the Magic Window more of a hassle for you than it's worth for short files?

Also, delighted to see that we have a Magee!

MManolakes
Posts: 413
Joined: January 26th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by MManolakes » January 29th, 2021, 7:52 am

JoannaHoyt wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 4:04 am
MManolakes wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 9:20 pm
One suggestion for future efforts: leave more space, at least three seconds, between lines. It makes editing the speeches together much easier.

Mike
Thank you! I think I read 2-5, but I can see why longer would be better. Shall I expand the spaces and reupload the files, or is having to replace them in the Magic Window more of a hassle for you than it's worth for short files?

Also, delighted to see that we have a Magee!
It's not necessary to redo these files. I'll be able to edit with what you've given me. It was just something to keep in mind for the future.

Mike

MManolakes
Posts: 413
Joined: January 26th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by MManolakes » January 29th, 2021, 7:52 am

OooThatsNifty wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 12:40 am
If you'll have me, I'd love to claim Magee!
Terrific! Welcome aboard!

Mike

ChristopherFoeckler
Posts: 16
Joined: January 28th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Post by ChristopherFoeckler » January 29th, 2021, 11:00 am

I'd be happy to take on Jiggs Kennedy (Act 2). I was in this play in college and I have directed it once.

ADKreader1122
Posts: 896
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 10:48 am

Post by ADKreader1122 » January 29th, 2021, 11:19 am

Hello Kelly,
Notes for Stage Directions, Act 2:
17:51 change "hand" to "arm" in "Grabs Max's arm and throws it back."
19:24 Add "L." in "...looking up at room L., turns...
30:30 change "unlocks" to "locks" in "Cargan as the latter locks the door."
44:11 change "unlocks" to "locks" in "Chief locks door and comes down stage to Mary."
48:50 change "enters" to "exits" in "...and closes it as Cop exits."

Great job with two very long sections!
Thanks,
Lora

MManolakes
Posts: 413
Joined: January 26th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by MManolakes » January 29th, 2021, 12:08 pm

ChristopherFoeckler wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 11:00 am
I'd be happy to take on Jiggs Kennedy (Act 2). I was in this play in college and I have directed it once.
Thanks for volunteering! I see you're new to the forum. Before you sign up for this project, can you first submit the "1-Minute Test" to make sure technical settings are correct, etc. The directions are here http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Then I'll be happy to have you be part of the project!

Mike

ChristopherFoeckler
Posts: 16
Joined: January 28th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Post by ChristopherFoeckler » January 29th, 2021, 12:42 pm

MManolakes wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 12:08 pm
ChristopherFoeckler wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 11:00 am
I'd be happy to take on Jiggs Kennedy (Act 2). I was in this play in college and I have directed it once.
Thanks for volunteering! I see you're new to the forum. Before you sign up for this project, can you first submit the "1-Minute Test" to make sure technical settings are correct, etc. The directions are here http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Then I'll be happy to have you be part of the project!

Mike
You bet. Stand by...

ChristopherFoeckler
Posts: 16
Joined: January 28th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Post by ChristopherFoeckler » January 29th, 2021, 1:20 pm

MManolakes wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 12:08 pm
ChristopherFoeckler wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 11:00 am
I'd be happy to take on Jiggs Kennedy (Act 2). I was in this play in college and I have directed it once.
Thanks for volunteering! I see you're new to the forum. Before you sign up for this project, can you first submit the "1-Minute Test" to make sure technical settings are correct, etc. The directions are here http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Then I'll be happy to have you be part of the project!

Mike
Here's the URL to my test file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_christopherfoeckler.mp3

MManolakes
Posts: 413
Joined: January 26th, 2017, 1:52 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by MManolakes » January 29th, 2021, 3:01 pm

ChristopherFoeckler wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 1:20 pm
MManolakes wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 12:08 pm
ChristopherFoeckler wrote:
January 29th, 2021, 11:00 am
I'd be happy to take on Jiggs Kennedy (Act 2). I was in this play in college and I have directed it once.
Thanks for volunteering! I see you're new to the forum. Before you sign up for this project, can you first submit the "1-Minute Test" to make sure technical settings are correct, etc. The directions are here http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. Then I'll be happy to have you be part of the project!

Mike
Here's the URL to my test file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_christopherfoeckler.mp3
Great! The place to post your test file is in the Listeners & Editors Wanted section, where you'll get feedback about your recording. I can tell you, though, that you'll need to set your recording software to use a constant bit rate of 128 kbps, and adjust the volume level so that it's between 86-92 dB, as it's now a little too high.

Mike


Post Reply