[SOLO] The Salem Witchcraft, the Planchette Mystery, and Modern Spiritualism by Harriet B Stowe & Samuel R Wells-ag

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Riman

Post by Riman » May 14th, 2021, 12:52 pm

The Salem Witchcraft, the Planchette Mystery, and Modern Spiritualism, by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811 - 1896) and Samuel Robert Wells (1820 - 1875)
(Summary by )
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/42318

Target completion date: 2021-05-25

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Religious Fiction; Short Stories; *Non-fiction/Philosophy; *Non-fiction/Psychology

Keywords that describe the book: Mystery, witchcraft, spirituality, salem

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Salem Witchcraft, the Planchette Mystery, and Modern Spiritualism. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Salem Witchcraft, the Planchette Mystery, and Modern Spiritualism, by Harriet Beecher Stowe and Samuel Robert Wells. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of The Salem Witchcraft, the Planchette Mystery, and Modern Spiritualism, by Harriet Beecher Stowe and Samuel Robert Wells. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Salem Witchcraft, the Planchette Mystery, and Modern Spiritualism, by Harriet Beecher Stowe and Samuel Robert Wells."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: salemwitchcraft_##_stowe_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. salemwitchcraft_01_stowe_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 14th, 2021, 1:44 pm

Hi Riman. Welcome to LV.

I see this is your first post to the forum.

Before you start recording, please complete and get an OK on a one-minute test to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to simply confirm that your files meet our requirements Post your test in the Listeners Wanted Forum and an experienced LVer will have a listen and check the specs for you. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

Even if you are experienced with recording elsewhere, please send in a short test recording to check that all the technical settings meet LibriVox requirements before recording a full chapter.

1-Minute Test

Also as a new reader, we strongly recommend that you record a section or two in group projects before embarking on a solo, so that you can get a sense of the amount of time and effort a commitment to a solo recording would entail, as well as become a little familiar with the community here and our process for submitting files, prooflistening, etc. As a soloist, you will be responsible not only for recording and editing all the sections, but you will also be your own book coordinator (BC) which means you will be responsible for entering all the information (titles, time, links) into the workflow system.

Meanwhile, this thread may be moved to Book Suggestions once you have seen this post. It can be moved back here by any of the forum admins any time.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » May 16th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Moved to Book Suggestions to tidy up the Launch Pad.

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » May 30th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Hi Riman,

I see you have gotten an OK on a 1-minute test. I will move this thread back to the LaunchPad for you, but please do not upload any additional files until you officially have an MC, and the project has been entered into the database.

Part of the reason it is recommended that you read a section or two in a group project before starting on a solo is so you can become familiar with the process here, including the correct format for naming your files.
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » May 31st, 2021, 7:08 am

Hi Riman,
I'll MC this for you. I am going to private message you on how to setup this project and use the magic window.
How would you like your name to appear in the catalog?
Thanks,
-Amy

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » May 31st, 2021, 1:55 pm

Hello Riman and alg1001,

I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but if you need a DPL I'm available. :D

This sounds like an interesting project.

Thank you!

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » June 1st, 2021, 5:05 pm

Hi Dulcamara,
I will sign you up as DPL. :)
Welcome aboard!
-Amy

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » June 1st, 2021, 8:15 pm

Over to Going Solo.

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » June 2nd, 2021, 12:13 am

Thank you! :D

Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » June 2nd, 2021, 12:36 am

Hi, Riman,

It's a pleasure to DPL this! :9:

These are my PL notes on Section 1, Introduction:

~ 1:24 there's a bit to edit around : "...religious tolerance..."

At the end of the recording there should be a 5-second silence.

Also, - but I'm not sure about this because I know some things may be different for different kinds of
projects - you might consider revising the filenames to follow the lead given in the template in the first post. I only mention this in case it could turn out to be an issue during the cataloguing process.

Kind regards,
Jasna

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » June 2nd, 2021, 9:04 pm

Please use the file format: salemwitchcraft_##_stowe_128kb

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » June 4th, 2021, 9:33 am

Hi, Riman, :D

Here are the PL notes for Section 2:

~ 06:50 There's a long pause (2 seconds) which you might consider editing.

~ 08:50 The word "peculiar" sounds a bit unclear. (page 10)

~ 09:03 Hesitation "... the thievery and cheating..."

~ 09:35 A repeat: ... connections with family-family history..."

~16:08 Change in word order: I hear "... which is most dedicated fitly to him...".
The text goes: "... which is most fitly dedicated to him..."

~16:48 A repeat/hesitation: I hear: "... and the facts may-presented may help..."
The text goes: "... and the facts presented may help..." (page 13)

~ 17:50 Hesitation: "... and encouraged intellectual pur-pursuits..."

~ 20:36 A repeat: "... of the- of the Company at home..."

~ 23:11 The word "fanaticism" sounds unclear.

~ 27:00 I hear: "... remained in the general mansion."
The text is: "... remained in the central mansion."

~ 31:42 Missing bit: I hear "Twenty of them..."
The text goes "In 1670 twenty of them..."

Also, if I may suggest, perhaps you could consider checking the volume with the "checker" program". (For example, at 31:14 the volume drops noticeably.)

Have a great weekend! :clap: