SOLO [Gloves, Past and Present] by [Willard M. Smith],

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
Katilynnfaz

Post by Katilynnfaz » April 16th, 2021, 8:44 am

SOLO [Gloves, Past and Present] by [Willard M. Smith], by Willard M. Smith, translated by Katilynn Faz (2005 - )
From the preface: "For thirty years I have devoted myself to the practical problems of the glove industry, and my connection with one of the substantial firms of master-merchant-glovers in the world has taught me how little gloves are known or appreciated by the millions of persons who buy them and wear them. The pursuit of glove lore-the historic romance of the glove-has long since been with me a selfish recreation. Now I desire to share it, as well as the practical knowledge, with all men and women who have missed seizing upon the real relation which gloves bear to life." (Summary by Google)
Source text (please read only from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/58662

Target completion date: 2021-04-29

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

[MW]xxxx[/MW]
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: mQJjIRiK
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 10
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1917
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? my name
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=127281

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction

Keywords that describe the book: romance, historic

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of SOLO [Gloves, Past and Present] by [Willard M. Smith]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "SOLO [Gloves, Past and Present] by [Willard M. Smith], by Willard M. Smith, translated by Katilynn Faz. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of SOLO [Gloves, Past and Present] by [Willard M. Smith], by Willard M. Smith, translated by Katilynn Faz. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of SOLO [Gloves, Past and Present] by [Willard M. Smith], by Willard M. Smith, translated by Katilynn Faz."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: sologlovespastandpresentbywillardmsmith_##_smith_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. sologlovespastandpresentbywillardmsmith_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » April 18th, 2021, 1:53 pm

Katilynn,

Welcome to LibriVox!

I'd love to see you read this book, but it's strongly recommend that new readers complete a 1 minute test (not an audition, but to check your technical settings) and a section for a group project before you start off on a solo. That way you have a better idea what's involved in completing an audio book. In fact, two years ago another reader started this very book. He only completed one section and then disappeared ...

So, if you could submit a test and a section for a group project, then come back here and let us know you're ready to start this project.

If you would like a jump start at that point, you are welcome to use the section completed by the other reader ... or you can read all the sections on your own.

MaryAnn

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » April 19th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Moving this from the Launch Pad to keep it tidy. When you're ready to solo this, post in the thread, and an admin can move it back to the Launch Pad for you. :)
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
New York scenes, 1897: Darkness and Daylight
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5