[NONFIC]: Oracles of Nostradamus by Charles A. Ward - tg

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Post Reply
czandra
Posts: 215
Joined: February 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Post by czandra » March 3rd, 2021, 10:23 am

ah, now what's the root of the verb "to shanghai"? to do with sailors...

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 50534
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am

czandra wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:23 am
ah, now what's the root of the verb "to shanghai"? to do with sailors...
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/shanghai?s=t

I'm not sure if it's called that because the city of Shanghai was notorious as a place for kidnapping people to use as sailors. I know the practice was used in England and colonial/young America. I think it wasn't the Chinese doing it, but other countries.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
New York scenes, 1897: Darkness and Daylight
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

Dulcamara
Posts: 1070
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 3rd, 2021, 10:38 am

TriciaG wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:33 am
czandra wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 10:23 am
ah, now what's the root of the verb "to shanghai"? to do with sailors...
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/shanghai?s=t

I'm not sure if it's called that because the city of Shanghai was notorious as a place for kidnapping people to use as sailors. I know the practice was used in England and colonial/young America. I think it wasn't the Chinese doing it, but other countries.
... all of which has reminded me of Kidnapped, by. Robert Louis Stevenson. It would be a great adventure book to record. Perhaps it's already on the catalog. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Dulcamara
Posts: 1070
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 3rd, 2021, 10:47 am

And it is in the catalog. Perhaps I'll suggest the Spanish version. I remember it was great fun to read. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Dulcamara
Posts: 1070
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 4th, 2021, 6:01 am

czandra wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 9:07 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3
36m47s

that was taxing! I won't do 25 until I hear back. Was unsure how to handle notes, but read them as I would were I reading to myself. Don't speak Greek, so dealt with that subtly!

Cz
Hi, czandra, I thought I'd just let you know I've started working on this section. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Dulcamara
Posts: 1070
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 4th, 2021, 1:29 pm

czandra wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 9:07 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3
36m47s

that was taxing! I won't do 25 until I hear back. Was unsure how to handle notes, but read them as I would were I reading to myself. Don't speak Greek, so dealt with that subtly!

Cz
Hello, czandra,

Just one detail to PL OK Section 23: we need to add a five-second silence at the end of the recording. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

wib66
Posts: 11542
Joined: January 5th, 2012, 8:57 am

Post by wib66 » March 4th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Happy to sign up to section 16 thanks

OooThatsNifty
Posts: 524
Joined: June 13th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Post by OooThatsNifty » March 4th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Could I claim Section 20 - The National Convention?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Dulcamara
Posts: 1070
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 5th, 2021, 9:37 am

Hi, wib66 and OooThatsNifty! Great to see you here. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Dulcamara
Posts: 1070
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 5th, 2021, 9:40 am

Hi, Kaitybg7 and Gebhere2.

I don't seem to be able the file for Section 15. :help:

I keep receiving a message stating the file is not on the server.

:hmm:

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

czandra
Posts: 215
Joined: February 13th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Location: Quebec, Canada
Contact:

Post by czandra » March 5th, 2021, 9:49 am

I'm learning about the final 5 seconds the hard way! Will start s. 25 today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3 36min48s

Cz

Dulcamara
Posts: 1070
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 5th, 2021, 10:24 am

czandra wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 9:49 am
I'm learning about the final 5 seconds the hard way! Will start s. 25 today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3 36min48s

Cz
Lovely, czandra!

Section 23 is now PL OK. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 50534
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » March 5th, 2021, 10:37 am

czandra wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 9:49 am
I'm learning about the final 5 seconds the hard way! Will start s. 25 today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3 36min48s

Cz
This link isn't in the Magic Window, although the section is marked as PL OK - FYI to our BC. (I don't want it to get overlooked and try to catalog the project without all the links in the MW.)
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
New York scenes, 1897: Darkness and Daylight
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 50534
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » March 5th, 2021, 10:46 am

Dulcamara wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 9:40 am
Hi, Kaitybg7 and Gebhere2.

I don't seem to be able the file for Section 15. :help:

I keep receiving a message stating the file is not on the server.

:hmm:
It's not in my uploader folder. I ran a search in the entire uploader (all folders); it's nowhere in the uploader. :hmm: The reader will need to upload it again, I guess!
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
New York scenes, 1897: Darkness and Daylight
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

Dulcamara
Posts: 1070
Joined: December 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by Dulcamara » March 5th, 2021, 11:25 am

TriciaG wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 10:37 am
czandra wrote:
March 5th, 2021, 9:49 am
I'm learning about the final 5 seconds the hard way! Will start s. 25 today.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/oraclesofnostradamus_23.2_ward_128kb_.mp3 36min48s

Cz
This link isn't in the Magic Window, although the section is marked as PL OK - FYI to our BC. (I don't want it to get overlooked and try to catalog the project without all the links in the MW.)
Thank you, TriciaG. Yes, I PL'd from this link on the thread and meant to mention it to gebhere. :D

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

Post Reply