[SHORT STORIES] Sasha, by Aleksandr Kuprin - tg

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 8th, 2020, 11:14 am

kwdavids wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 11:00 am

That Russian language version is WONDERFUL. It has the stress marks, what I need more than anything!

Immediately I see that that the "ou" is just one letter in Russian that would be pronounced like "ou" in "soup." And seeing the original, there is a Russian "hard sign" after the 't' in Fedot, making it certain that it's not silent. So two big mistakes averted. Thanks!
You are a better person than am I.
In a gadda da vida, honey

HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko » July 8th, 2020, 1:11 pm

kwdavids wrote:
KevinS wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 7:16 am
kwdavids wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 6:52 am
I could use some advice on pronunciation.

One is Timofeev-Soumskoi, particularly whether the ou is one syllable or two. I'm thinking "soh OOMs coy". Another is "Fedot," where I am thinking the "t" is silent, guessing that the name is French rather than Russian.
These are from "How I became an actor" part IX.

Does anyone know where I can find an e-text in Russian? It's hard enough figuring out the pronunciation without having to reverse-engineer the translator.
Perhaps this will help? https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/101835185
That Russian language version is WONDERFUL. It has the stress marks, what I need more than anything!

Immediately I see that that the "ou" is just one letter in Russian that would be pronounced like "ou" in "soup." And seeing the original, there is a Russian "hard sign" after the 't' in Fedot, making it certain that it's not silent. So two big mistakes averted. Thanks!
Hi! I confirm ou = u and not silent t)
Timofeev = timofieyev)

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 8th, 2020, 1:20 pm

HannaPonomarenko wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 1:11 pm
kwdavids wrote:

Hi! I confirm ou = u and not silent t)
Timofeev = timofieyev)
Thank you!
In a gadda da vida, honey