[COMPLETE] Triumphant Democracy by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Marya999
Posts: 125
Joined: October 28th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Post by Marya999 » December 15th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Section 15:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_15_carnegie_128kb.mp3 28.76 KB 30:40

Whew, interesting times with foreign trade!

aeb2468
Posts: 87
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 11:30 am

Post by aeb2468 » December 17th, 2020, 1:01 pm


msfry
Posts: 7739
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 17th, 2020, 10:50 pm

Section 15 is PL Ok.
Whoa, Mary, what a magnificent treatment of all those dollar/pound figures, and judicious treatment of footnotes! "2.5 million . . . you made it roll off your tongue "like butta"! I hope I can persuade you to tackle Sections 26 and 27, The National Balance Sheet. Those be tough sections, which I think you could handle with ease. :thumbs:
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

msfry
Posts: 7739
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 18th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Section 21 is PL OK. Thank you Aaron. What a timely reminder of the roles of the various divisions of American government and how it is all supposed to work together for balance and wisdom. The Supreme Court's being appointed "for life" is kinda scary to me, for having cared for my highly intelligent mother 'til she died last year at age 98, may she RIP, I can attest she was not on top of her game for the last 15 years, and neither were her compadres in her elder care facility, most of whom had been accomplished professional people in earlier years. Could we maybe have mandatory retirement, or a test of acuity at some point? We really do rely on their decisions. Great section. Greatly enjoyed listening. Looking forward to 22.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

mpinedag
Posts: 135
Joined: April 3rd, 2009, 3:33 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Post by mpinedag » December 20th, 2020, 11:47 am

Hi TriciaG, here is section 12, Chapter 10, part 1 'Manufactures', recorded at 27'49": https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_12_carnegie_128kb.mp3

msfry
Posts: 7739
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 20th, 2020, 12:12 pm

mpinedag wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 11:47 am
Hi TriciaG, here is section 12, Chapter 10, part 1 'Manufactures', recorded at 27'49": https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_12_carnegie_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Mario. I look forward to listening soon.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

Marya999
Posts: 125
Joined: October 28th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Post by Marya999 » December 20th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Thank you Michele for the encouragement :9: Oh boy, interesting, I will have to take a look at them.

msfry wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Section 15 is PL Ok.
Whoa, Mary, what a magnificent treatment of all those dollar/pound figures, and judicious treatment of footnotes! "2.5 million . . . you made it roll off your tongue "like butta"! I hope I can persuade you to tackle Sections 26 and 27, The National Balance Sheet. Those be tough sections, which I think you could handle with ease. :thumbs:

aeb2468
Posts: 87
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 11:30 am

Post by aeb2468 » December 21st, 2020, 7:00 pm


mpinedag
Posts: 135
Joined: April 3rd, 2009, 3:33 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Post by mpinedag » December 22nd, 2020, 1:37 pm

Hi TriciaG, here is section 13, Chapter 10, part 2 'Manufactures', recorded at 27'44": https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_13_carnegie_128kb.mp3

msfry
Posts: 7739
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 22nd, 2020, 4:44 pm

mpinedag wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 1:37 pm
Hi TriciaG, here is section 13, Chapter 10, part 2 'Manufactures', recorded at 27'44": https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_13_carnegie_128kb.mp3
Thank you, Mario. I should be able to listen to your sections soon. Holiday duties are creeping up on me. :roll:
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

msfry
Posts: 7739
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 27th, 2020, 7:41 am

Hello, Mario. This chapter was not an easy read considering all those figures. Both sections well done. Thank you. Just a few things need your attention:

PL Notes Section 12, Manufactures, Part 1

1:10-12 "is the prerogative of valiant souls." I find this unintelligible. Could you please rerecord it more slowly and pronounce souls to rhyme with moles, not owls.
7:54 while the brain and muscle of men, I hear muscle a man
16:16 Uncle Sam's great estate, I hear great state (He is referring to the USA)

PL Notes Section 13, Manufactures, Part 2

At 92.7, this file falls outside the target volume range. Please amplify by -2.7, and I am recommending you go back to Section 12 also and amplify by -1.4, so both files will rest at 90dB, thus no jump in volume the listener may have to adjust to going between files. Also, while you are making adjustments, your DC Bias on both files is high. I recommend (in Audacity) you go Effect/Normalize, and bring your DC bias to 0.

15:54 Capable, educated girls are pining for a ' career ', pining should rhyme with wine, not win
16:11 and I am not going to rail at the inevitable, not is missing
20:41 dispute the immense superiority of the republican workman? superiority is garbled, superjorty? (pronounced almost correctly at 21:08. You could maybe copy and paste.
22:12 it is the work of hereditary rulers, you say herrytarry
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

mpinedag
Posts: 135
Joined: April 3rd, 2009, 3:33 pm
Location: Texas, USA

Post by mpinedag » December 28th, 2020, 8:56 am

msfry wrote:
December 27th, 2020, 7:41 am
Hello, Mario. This chapter was not an easy read considering all those figures. Both sections well done. Thank you. Just a few things need your attention:

PL Notes Section 12, Manufactures, Part 1

1:10-12 "is the prerogative of valiant souls." I find this unintelligible. Could you please rerecord it more slowly and pronounce souls to rhyme with moles, not owls.
7:54 while the brain and muscle of men, I hear muscle a man
16:16 Uncle Sam's great estate, I hear great state (He is referring to the USA)

PL Notes Section 13, Manufactures, Part 2

At 92.7, this file falls outside the target volume range. Please amplify by -2.7, and I am recommending you go back to Section 12 also and amplify by -1.4, so both files will rest at 90dB, thus no jump in volume the listener may have to adjust to going between files. Also, while you are making adjustments, your DC Bias on both files is high. I recommend (in Audacity) you go Effect/Normalize, and bring your DC bias to 0.

15:54 Capable, educated girls are pining for a ' career ', pining should rhyme with wine, not win
16:11 and I am not going to rail at the inevitable, not is missing
20:41 dispute the immense superiority of the republican workman? superiority is garbled, superjorty? (pronounced almost correctly at 21:08. You could maybe copy and paste.
22:12 it is the work of hereditary rulers, you say herrytarry
Hi Michele, thanks for the review and for pointing out the mistakes. I have corrected the mispronunciations on both files. I believe that I have also adjusted the dB and normalized the sound on both files as well. Please review and let me know. Regards.

Section 12, recorded at 27'50": https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_12_carnegie_128kb.mp3
Section 13, recorded at 22'45": https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_13_carnegie_128kb.mp3

msfry
Posts: 7739
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 28th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Thank you Mario, 12 and 13 are PL OK, or we could say "sterling"!
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

msfry
Posts: 7739
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 28th, 2020, 6:13 pm

I am opening up Section 14, Mining, as the reader seems to have hopped around the LV playground and claimed a lot of sections, then disappeared. Bill has expressed an interest in this section, so I am assigning it to him . . . before he gets away. :)
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

williamjones
Posts: 1406
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » December 28th, 2020, 6:20 pm

msfry wrote:
December 28th, 2020, 6:13 pm
I am opening up Section 14, Mining, as the reader seems to have hopped around the LV playground and claimed a lot of sections, then disappeared. Bill has expressed an interest in this section, so I am assigning it to him . . . before he gets away. :)
Thank you Michele.
I'll hop on this section and do it proud.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I forget people, places and things. So nouns ... essentially I forget nouns.

Post Reply