[COMPLETE] Triumphant Democracy by Andrew Carnegie - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
msfry
Posts: 7751
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » December 29th, 2020, 12:42 pm

PL Notes Section 22 The Federal Constellation, Part 2

6:31 primogeniture, pronounce pri-mo-gen-i-ture, you say prim-on-genture
You also pronounce monarchical as monar-cal throughout 21 and 22, but I didn't flag the many instances because it is obvious what you mean, and would be a pain in the neck to correct.
7:19-7:33 volume drops -2.5. Could give that a boost of +2.5 to match the surrounding text.
12:46 but is only its own duly appointed agent, you say duty
13:32 missing text $50,000 per annum (10,000 pounds), 10,000 pounds is missing
14:36 the cabinet officers are of equal rank, you say offers
20:24 did not exceed $600,000 (120,000 pounds). 120,000 pounds is missing
27:00 is to discard hereditary rulers, you say dis-aird.


Ha Ha times have certainly changed about the President travelling about without escort, in every-day vehicles, checking into ordinary hotels, etc. And huge changes in campaign expenses!!!!!
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

aeb2468
Posts: 88
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 11:30 am

Post by aeb2468 » December 29th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Got it. I’m away from my equipment this week, but will get this cleaned up early next week

aeb2468
Posts: 88
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 11:30 am

Post by aeb2468 » January 5th, 2021, 12:34 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_22_carnegie_128kb.mp3 (28.53.59)

Ok, here's the corrected file. I think I i got everything you highlighted. The only thing I could not fix is the 7;19-7:33 volume drop. I tried, but guess I don't have the technical know how for that issue. I'm happy to revisit it if someone can tell me how to do it.

Marya999
Posts: 125
Joined: October 28th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Post by Marya999 » January 5th, 2021, 1:53 pm

Yes, I would like to do #26 and #27...I thought they were boring, but I already read through the first half...I think you're getting me hooked on Carnegie. :shock:
msfry wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 10:50 pm
Section 15 is PL Ok.
Whoa, Mary, what a magnificent treatment of all those dollar/pound figures, and judicious treatment of footnotes! "2.5 million . . . you made it roll off your tongue "like butta"! I hope I can persuade you to tackle Sections 26 and 27, The National Balance Sheet. Those be tough sections, which I think you could handle with ease. :thumbs:

Marya999
Posts: 125
Joined: October 28th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Post by Marya999 » January 5th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Are you in audacity? Have you tried selecting the portion you want raised, and going to Effect | Amplify?
aeb2468 wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 12:34 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_22_carnegie_128kb.mp3 (28.53.59)

Ok, here's the corrected file. I think I i got everything you highlighted. The only thing I could not fix is the 7;19-7:33 volume drop. I tried, but guess I don't have the technical know how for that issue. I'm happy to revisit it if someone can tell me how to do it.

aeb2468
Posts: 88
Joined: April 12th, 2020, 11:30 am

Post by aeb2468 » January 5th, 2021, 2:30 pm

yes, in audacity. when i tried to amplify the selected section by 2.5, audacity would not allow me to do it.

msfry
Posts: 7751
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 5th, 2021, 4:00 pm

Mary, I've got you in for 26 and 27. Thank you.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

msfry
Posts: 7751
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 5th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Section 22 is PL OK. Thank you for those lovely edits, Aaron. Don't worry about the amplification issue. It is all still perfectly understandable.

FYI, the way you amplify in Audacity is to highlight the text you wish to amplify, go Effects/Amplify and use the slider bar to raise or lower the dB, or just type in your adjustment and hit OK. I keep Allow Clipping checked, in case anything goes above or below the 1.0 line in the wave form. Hope this helps.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 50259
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » January 5th, 2021, 4:32 pm

I don't allow clipping, as that can cause distortion and unpleasant sounds. :)

If it doesn't allow you to go far enough, you've got some spikes that will need shrinking. You can either run the Compression effect on it (I set it at about -13 dB threshold, and it usually is enough) or if you only have one or two spikes preventing enough amplification, zoom in and either shrink them down by de-amplifying, or cut them out if they're unnecessary clicks.
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

msfry
Posts: 7751
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 6th, 2021, 9:25 am

TriciaG wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 4:32 pm
I don't allow clipping, as that can cause distortion and unpleasant sounds. :)

If it doesn't allow you to go far enough, you've got some spikes that will need shrinking. You can either run the Compression effect on it (I set it at about -13 dB threshold, and it usually is enough) or if you only have one or two spikes preventing enough amplification, zoom in and either shrink them down by de-amplifying, or cut them out if they're unnecessary clicks.
I always use compression, so the "allow clipping" doesn't affect my files. It came checked so I left it that way. presuming it was important. :mrgreen:
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 50259
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » January 6th, 2021, 10:12 am

Never allow clipping, if you can help it. Clipping=bad. :)
Bulwer-Lytton novel: The Caxtons
Boring works 30-70 minutes long: Insomnia Collection 5

williamjones
Posts: 1407
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » January 6th, 2021, 7:37 pm

Michele, the long-awaited Carnegie MINING section is recorded and triple-PLed.
But some months ago we learned about a couple of effects beyond noise reduction and tempo.
I don't remember what they were.
Remind me?
Or shall I just upload the file as it is now?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I don't mean to brag, but I finished my 14-day diet in 3 hours and 12 minutes.

msfry
Posts: 7751
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 7th, 2021, 10:13 am

williamjones wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 7:37 pm
Michele, the long-awaited Carnegie MINING section is recorded and triple-PLed.
But some months ago we learned about a couple of effects beyond noise reduction and tempo.
I don't remember what they were.
Remind me?
Or shall I just upload the file as it is now?
Upload, and I'll be better able to advise you.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

williamjones
Posts: 1407
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » January 7th, 2021, 2:15 pm

msfry wrote:
January 7th, 2021, 10:13 am
williamjones wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 7:37 pm
Michele, the long-awaited Carnegie MINING section is recorded and triple-PLed.
But some months ago we learned about a couple of effects beyond noise reduction and tempo.
I don't remember what they were.
Remind me?
Or shall I just upload the file as it is now?
Upload, and I'll be better able to advise you.
Uploaded section 14 - Mining
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/triumphantdemocracy_14_carnegie_128kb.mp3 45:57

The other two effects I'm trying to recall resulted in my modest, plebeian voice sounding much better.
lemme know what you think, please.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I don't mean to brag, but I finished my 14-day diet in 3 hours and 12 minutes.

msfry
Posts: 7751
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 7th, 2021, 10:11 pm

Thanks, Bill. I look forward to listening.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break Collection #31 - Springtime!

Post Reply