SOLO Spiritual Reformers in the 16th & 17th Centuries by Rufus M. Jones

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
JackLohr

Post by JackLohr » July 29th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Spiritual Reformers in the 16th & 17th Centuries by Rufus M. Jones (1863 - 1948).

A world of insights from mystics of the Reformation, including Hans Denck, Sebastian Franck, Caspar Schwenckfeld, Valentine Weigel, Jacob Boehme and Thomas Traherne. Jones writes (pp. xiv-xv):
Parallel with the main current of the Protestant Reformation, a new type of "spiritual religion" appeared and continued to manifest itself with mutations and developments, throughout the entire Reformation era, with a wealth of results which are still operative in the life of the modern world.... The nobler leaders and the saner spirits were taken in the mass with those of an opposite character, ...and in consequence still remain largely neglected and forgotten.
The men who initiated and guided this significant undertaking - the exhibition in the world of what they persistently called "spiritual religion" - were influenced by three great historic tendencies, all three of which were harmoniously united in their type of Christianity. They were the Mystical tendency, the Humanistic or Rational tendency, and the distinctive Faith-tendency of the Reformation. These three strands are indissolubly woven together in this type of so-called spiritual Religion. It was an impressive attempt, whether completely successful or not, to widen the sphere and scope of religion, to carry it into the whole of life, to ground it in the very nature of the human spirit, and to demonstrate that to be a man, possessed of full life and complete health, is to be religious, to be spiritual.
(Rufus M. Jones)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/24934
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

[MW]xxxx[/MW]
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: WJVjU9cn
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Rufus M. Jones) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_Jones_(writer)
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have:
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1914
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History /Early Modern; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Biographies

Keywords that describe the book: mysticism, Reformation, biographies, spirituality

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Spiritual Reformers in the 16th & 17th Centuries. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Spiritual Reformers in the 16th & 17th Centuries, by Rufus M. Jones. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Spiritual Reformers in the 16th & 17th Centuries by Rufus M. Jones. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Spiritual Reformers in the 16th & 17th Centuries, by Rufus M. Jones. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename spiritualreformers_##_jones_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. spiritualreformers_01_jones_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » July 29th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Well done with the template. :D Can I suggest that we don't put it into the database until you have recorded the section you've claimed ? That way there might be some changes that would work best for you, and it's easier to make any changes you'd like (and are possible) then?

Anne

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 29th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Pastor, will this be a solo project?
"E agora, José?"

JackLohr

Post by JackLohr » July 30th, 2019, 5:05 am

Kevin,
I'm imagining it as a solo project. But I'm new at the game, so I would defer to others.
Jack

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 30th, 2019, 5:10 am

JackLohr wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 5:05 am
Kevin,
I'm imagining it as a solo project. But I'm new at the game, so I would defer to others.
Jack
Someone who has preached his or her whole life shouldn't have trouble with getting through a solo project. Hahah!

If you decide on a group project, I'm in for at least a chapter!
"E agora, José?"

JackLohr

Post by JackLohr » July 30th, 2019, 5:31 am

Anne,
Being new, I'm not sure what it means to "put it into the database."
I plan to get started in the next week or so, with a number of preliminary decisions that I'd appreciate feedback on:
1) Going solo. (If others share Kevin's interest in the project, I will gladly share the joy.)
2) Including footnotes to identify authors of quotations and Scripture citations, but not page numbers. (I'll just say, "Note:" and then read it.)
3) Not stopping to research pronunciation of every proper name, just giving it my best shot.
4) Aiming for a more conversational reading/presentation rather than an academic rendition.
--Jack

JackLohr

Post by JackLohr » July 31st, 2019, 11:24 am

So, Kevin, if you'd like to join in, why not record "CHAPTER XVIII CONCLUSION"?
If it turns into a group project, I suppose we'll create a "magic window."
--Jack

KevinS

Post by KevinS » July 31st, 2019, 11:35 am

JackLohr wrote:
July 31st, 2019, 11:24 am
So, Kevin, if you'd like to join in, why not record "CHAPTER XVIII CONCLUSION"?
If it turns into a group project, I suppose we'll create a "magic window."
--Jack
Well, you`ll have a magic window regardless. (This is a `magical` place after all.)

Please decide what you truly desire. I have other work to do, anyway, but I do worry you will grow tired with a solo project at the start of your time here.

You know best.
"E agora, José?"

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » August 2nd, 2019, 5:55 am

JackLohr wrote:
July 30th, 2019, 5:31 am
Anne,
Being new, I'm not sure what it means to "put it into the database."
I plan to get started in the next week or so, with a number of preliminary decisions that I'd appreciate feedback on:
1) Going solo. (If others share Kevin's interest in the project, I will gladly share the joy.)
2) Including footnotes to identify authors of quotations and Scripture citations, but not page numbers. (I'll just say, "Note:" and then read it.)
3) Not stopping to research pronunciation of every proper name, just giving it my best shot.
4) Aiming for a more conversational reading/presentation rather than an academic rendition.
--Jack
Jack. "Putting it into the database" simply means setting this up with a number, an administrative thing we do. I believe it was suggested that you complete the section in another project that you have claimed before we actually set this project up. Sometimes actually recording and editing a section brings home the effort and time required and this book is quite hefty and long. I agree that you should definitely do the other section first. If that goes fine and you wish to proceed, great!
1) going solo. Gee, I don't know. Since you seem very interested in the project it might be best to go solo that way you can go as fast or as slow as you wish.
but this decision is definitely yours to make. Opening it up as a group project does mean you will be the Book Coordinator, dealing with everyone who wishes to read and taking care of the magic Window. More on that later. Your point 4 supports a solo read since you cannot control other people's styles.
2) Your choice about footnotes. You can include them, saying Note as you wish, or not.
3) Sure, your best shot sounds fine.
4) also, fine.
So, our hesitation on 'setting up' this project is based on your lack of experience with how things work. If you had done a number of other sections, and know how things work, I would not hesitate to open this. We don't doubt your enthusiasm and dedication, we just have experience with projects being started and then dropped. We will work with you on this, let's get it done, OK?
EDIT : Just a note to say that this book seems well written and clear for the topic.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
If a cow doesn't produce milk, is it a milk dud, or an utter failure? .

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 14th, 2019, 11:47 am

Jack - apparently you've had your section submitted and OK'd. :)

I would recommend NOT doing this as a group project as your very first LV project. Coordinating a group project is a lot more work than a solo. It requires shepherding readers through the project, knowing when to nudge them for claimed sections they haven't submitted yet, and all sorts of other "fun" stuff. :lol:

On the other hand, I would not recommend doing this particular work as a solo as your very first project, either. It's huge! About 15.5 hours or so of finished recording. :shock: Recording a whole book isn't easy. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does - which in this case would mean about 75 hours of work total.

Would you be willing to do a couple more sections of group projects - preferably longer ones - to get a bit more experience before taking on this elephant?
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Christmas Lore, short chapters: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=77195

silverquill

Post by silverquill » August 14th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Jubilating Jack!

Thought I'd pop in with a few comments.
I too recently attended my college class of '69 reunion! Lived on the Cape for awhile, too.
And, I have a plaque somewhere that says I retired from the church, but that is just a fabrication. :lol:
Do preachers every really retire.

All of the comments above should be taken to heart!

This is a HUGE project.

As a solo, it is easy to get bogged down. It will be harder and longer than you think.
And, shepherding it as a collaborative project is also an enormous undertaking. These would be long, heavy sections appealing to a limited pool of potential readers. A project this size could easily take a year or more to complete, depending on how much interest it draws.

This is not to discourage you, but to give you pause before you commit either way to the book.

Oh, looking at the footnotes, I think it would be best to omit them.

There will be those of us around to help if you decide to go ahead with it. But please do participate in some more group projects.

~ Larry

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » August 15th, 2019, 7:48 pm

I suppose there will always be differing opinions but I don't think at this stage as a reader there would be much point in not starting it as a Solo if this is what you feel you want to contribute here. Yes it will probably not be an easy read, but each chapter is a step on the way towards the final goal - it being available for interested listeners.

Anne

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » August 27th, 2019, 3:43 pm

No response from reader since August 1. Moving this to "Book Suggestions" to keep the launch pad tidy.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com