[COMPLETE][Magazine][Short Stories]The Rover Vol. 01 No. 03 - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 18th, 2021, 5:47 am

Sshoger wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 3:58 pm
And here's the updated version. New duration is 35:15.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0103_2_smith_128kb.mp3
thank you, Scott, and totally PL ok now, nicely corrected :thumbs:

Sonia

vonkluver

Post by vonkluver » January 28th, 2021, 6:12 pm

Update - finally made sound room my friend. :D

I did several takes on the run on sentence that is the first stanza Jewel of The Harem as well as the intro.

Things are slowing at work and i can finally get back to it.

Bare with me folks, Im getting a head of steam up for this - its a FUN challenge

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 29th, 2021, 12:27 am

vonkluver wrote:
January 28th, 2021, 6:12 pm
Update - finally made sound room my friend. :D
I did several takes on the run on sentence that is the first stanza Jewel of The Harem as well as the intro.
Things are slowing at work and i can finally get back to it.
Bare with me folks, Im getting a head of steam up for this - its a FUN challenge
:lol: you are making me really curious about your recording. Your comments are like teaser trailers popping up in the weeks before the premiere. (a run-on sentence sounds scary though, I am a friend of commas and full stops :mrgreen: )

Thank you for the update, and you seem to put a lot of preliminary work into this :thumbs: I'm sure you'll do fine.

Good luck and have fun !

Sonia

AllenO

Post by AllenO » February 3rd, 2021, 7:26 pm

I should be able to be done with section 1 at some point tomorrow, February 4, which I know is pushing it to the limit. I had expected to be done today and only come really close to pushing it to the limit, but work intruded.

Thanks for the patience.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 4th, 2021, 12:31 am

AllenO wrote:
February 3rd, 2021, 7:26 pm
I should be able to be done with section 1 at some point tomorrow, February 4, which I know is pushing it to the limit. I had expected to be done today and only come really close to pushing it to the limit, but work intruded.
thank you for letting me know Allen, and I definitely look forward to listening to your story soon. :9:

Sonia

AllenO

Post by AllenO » February 5th, 2021, 12:19 am

Section 1. Duration is 51:51.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/rover0103_1_smith_128kb.mp3

Thanks for your patience.

AllenO

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 5th, 2021, 5:57 am

AllenO wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 12:19 am
wow that was a long section, but well worth the wait, you narrated it wonderfully in character :thumbs: And the story was quite hooking too.

I do have a few things to correct still, but considering the length of the section, it's not much. As you know, only do spot editing, you do not need to re-do the entire section !

> at 0:00: you start a bit abruptly in the beginning, we actually recommend leaving 0.5-1 second of silence, so the start is not that abrupt. Also, you launch immediately into the story without intro disclaimer and title ;) Please add the entire following text:
Section 1 of The Rover Volume 1, Number 3.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.
For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
The Rover Volume 1, Number 3, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree.
Section 1: The miller of Corbeil

> at 4:49: (p. 33) missed part of sentence (underlined): by young Monsieur Clerivault of the Douze Moulins; and now that young Monsieur Clerivault, of the Douze Moulins, found the fountains of La Tremblaye"

> from 16:01-16:05: (p. 34) "you know not how great an injury you may be doing Valentin" – this is too low in tone compared to the rest. I would amplify with +5. One can also convey a whisper in a "normal" volume of voice. Just like shouting shouldn't be clipping off the recording. The best is always to try to stay in more or less the same amplitude of volume throughout the recording.

> at 21:33: (p. 35) you clipped off a word by mistake: "in his rival's presence. If I have delayed thus long"

> from 41:57-44:18: (p. 37) from "I was sure he could not remain" till "when will he venture to return to Corbeil" – this is also too low in volume, I would increase by 5 as well

> from 49:43-49:55: (p. 38) from "tiens voila justement" till "qui s'informe de vous et de votre famille"
> from 50:12-50:20: (p. 38) from "brave garçon" till "ce pauvre Valentin" – ok here I have to ask (for the record) who did this recording for you. The first I wasn't sure whether it may have been your voice but the French was so much improved that I was startled. The second part is definitely a female voice. If these are other LV volunteers, you may give them credit maybe. On the other hand, in case this is an automated online voice maybe, we cannot accept it, we only use real human readers. Could you tell me more details about the readers please ? I think it would have been better if you had tried to emulate the sample French recordings and recorded it in your own voice, so the text doesn't sound odd when all of a sudden another voice speaks.

In any case, thank you so much for this great narration. :)

Sonia

AllenO

Post by AllenO » February 6th, 2021, 5:41 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 5:57 am
AllenO wrote:
February 5th, 2021, 12:19 am
wow that was a long section, but well worth the wait, you narrated it wonderfully in character :thumbs: And the story was quite hooking too.

I do have a few things to correct still, but considering the length of the section, it's not much. As you know, only do spot editing, you do not need to re-do the entire section !

> at 0:00: you start a bit abruptly in the beginning, we actually recommend leaving 0.5-1 second of silence, so the start is not that abrupt. Also, you launch immediately into the story without intro disclaimer and title ;) Please add the entire following text:
Section 1 of The Rover Volume 1, Number 3.
This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.
For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
The Rover Volume 1, Number 3, edited by Seba Smith and Lawrence Labree.
Section 1: The miller of Corbeil

> at 4:49: (p. 33) missed part of sentence (underlined): by young Monsieur Clerivault of the Douze Moulins; and now that young Monsieur Clerivault, of the Douze Moulins, found the fountains of La Tremblaye"

> from 16:01-16:05: (p. 34) "you know not how great an injury you may be doing Valentin" – this is too low in tone compared to the rest. I would amplify with +5. One can also convey a whisper in a "normal" volume of voice. Just like shouting shouldn't be clipping off the recording. The best is always to try to stay in more or less the same amplitude of volume throughout the recording.

> at 21:33: (p. 35) you clipped off a word by mistake: "in his rival's presence. If I have delayed thus long"

> from 41:57-44:18: (p. 37) from "I was sure he could not remain" till "when will he venture to return to Corbeil" – this is also too low in volume, I would increase by 5 as well

> from 49:43-49:55: (p. 38) from "tiens voila justement" till "qui s'informe de vous et de votre famille"
> from 50:12-50:20: (p. 38) from "brave garçon" till "ce pauvre Valentin" – ok here I have to ask (for the record) who did this recording for you. The first I wasn't sure whether it may have been your voice but the French was so much improved that I was startled. The second part is definitely a female voice. If these are other LV volunteers, you may give them credit maybe. On the other hand, in case this is an automated online voice maybe, we cannot accept it, we only use real human readers. Could you tell me more details about the readers please ? I think it would have been better if you had tried to emulate the sample French recordings and recorded it in your own voice, so the text doesn't sound odd when all of a sudden another voice speaks.

In any case, thank you so much for this great narration. :)

Sonia
Let me first apologize for not checking my work before submitting it. I actually had the proper intro at one point, but must have Ctrl-Zed it out and didn't notice because I didn't listen after I did my final post-processing. I know better about not checking my work, but I was sure everything was there.

I'll make the updates as soon as I can.

Yes, the properly pronounced French comes from a site called ttsmp3.com which I used to hear the pronunciation of the many words I mangled. I seriously doubt I can do such extended passages without dislocating a vocal cord and causing an international incident, but now I'll give it try. The good news is that Mathurin is not part of either passage and that was the most difficult word for me to pronounce, and, of course, the most common being the last name of the one of the main characters. If I get stuck, would there be a problem if I asked an non-LV person to act as the female speaker for the second passage? I ask because my boss also helped me by recording some of the words for me so i could refer to them while recording. I'll check the rules after this, but I figure I'll ask anyway.

As always, I greatly appreciate your feedback, Sonia.

AllenO

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 7th, 2021, 2:51 am

Yes, the properly pronounced French comes from a site called ttsmp3.com which I used to hear the pronunciation of the many words I mangled. I seriously doubt I can do such extended passages without dislocating a vocal cord and causing an international incident, but now I'll give it try.
yes please if this is from an external site, it's either not 100% PD to use it (we are not lawyers and therefore don't want to get involved in anything that is problematic) or it was computer voices, which would not be accepted.

The best is really to try it yourself. Just read it slowly, enounce the vowels well and I think it will be understandable. People can always refer to the text if they don't understand a word ;)
would there be a problem if I asked an non-LV person to act as the female speaker for the second passage? I ask because my boss also helped me by recording some of the words for me so i could refer to them while recording.
did your boss read the male part ? (he wouldn't want to sign up would he ? :lol: ) as for the female part: I could do it if all else fails because I speak French since childhood. I also noticed the female reader did a mispronunciation, which made me think it was a computer, as a native speaker would have caught the spelling error and read it correctly.

Sonia

AllenO

Post by AllenO » February 7th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 7th, 2021, 2:51 am
Yes, the properly pronounced French comes from a site called ttsmp3.com which I used to hear the pronunciation of the many words I mangled. I seriously doubt I can do such extended passages without dislocating a vocal cord and causing an international incident, but now I'll give it try.
yes please if this is from an external site, it's either not 100% PD to use it (we are not lawyers and therefore don't want to get involved in anything that is problematic) or it was computer voices, which would nnot be accepted.

The best is really to try it yourself. Just read it slowly, enounce the vowels well and I think it will be understandable. People can always refer to the text if they don't understand a word ;)
would there be a problem if I asked an non-LV person to act as the female speaker for the second passage? I ask because my boss also helped me by recording some of the words for me so i could refer to them while recording.
did your boss read the male part ? (he wouldn't want to sign up would he ? :lol: ) as for the female part: I could do it if all else fails because I speak French since childhood. I also noticed the female reader did a mispronunciation, which made me think it was a computer, as a native speaker would have caught the spelling error and read it correctly.

Sonia
Thank you for the offer to read that part, but I managed to get through it as well as rest of the other French by taking your advice.

This should incorporate all the edits and not have introduced any new problems. The updated duration is 52:27.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 9th, 2021, 1:24 am

AllenO wrote:
February 7th, 2021, 1:21 pm
Thank you for the offer to read that part, but I managed to get through it as well as rest of the other French by taking your advice.
This should incorporate all the edits and not have introduced any new problems. The updated duration is 52:27.
your French isn't too bad. I think it should be understandable enough to let it pass. :thumbs:

The only thing that needs doing still is the beginning silence. For some reason you only start at 0:04 which is too long to wait for the audio to start. Could you cut it down to under 0:01 please ? We recommend between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning, not more.

One last upload...

Thanks

Sonia

AllenO

Post by AllenO » February 9th, 2021, 7:51 am

Kitty wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 1:24 am
AllenO wrote:
February 7th, 2021, 1:21 pm
your French isn't too bad. I think it should be understandable enough to let it pass. :thumbs:

The only thing that needs doing still is the beginning silence. For some reason you only start at 0:04 which is too long to wait for the audio to start. Could you cut it down to under 0:01 please ? We recommend between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the beginning, not more.

One last upload...

Thanks

Sonia
Don't know why I misread the beginning silence especially when this is my fourth recording. Final upload of duration 52:23 in 3...2...1.

AllenO

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 10th, 2021, 5:13 am

AllenO wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 7:51 am
Don't know why I misread the beginning silence especially when this is my fourth recording. Final upload of duration 52:23 in 3...2...1.

yep, and now it is definitely PL ok. Congrats on tackling yet another long Rover section (with French, no less :thumbs: )

Thank you, and maybe I'll hear you in another Rover issue along the way again. Plenty more to be done :lol:

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » March 1st, 2021, 12:47 am

Announcement:

as I haven't heard back from one of the readers, Section 3 will be orphaned again.

I hear back from the other via PM and he wanted to relinquish his claim as well, here is a copy for the record:
vonkluver wrote:I will ask that you re assign the Jewel of The Nile this time
thanks for letting me know, so this section is open for grabs again as well.

Back to readers wanted....

Sonia

queenk8

Post by queenk8 » March 9th, 2021, 8:15 am

I can pick up section 3 for you and turn around fairly quickly.
Kate Follis
I love to read, AND my employer matches my volunteer hours with a donation to the Internet Archive, flagged to benefit Librivox.org. How cool is that?