[COMPLETE] Black Spirits and White: A Book of Ghost Stories - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » January 16th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Black Spirits and White: A Book of Ghost Stories by Ralph Adams Cram (1863 - 1942).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/black-spirits-and-white-by-ralph-adams-cram/

"A collection of six ghostly tales by Ralph Adams Cram, ranging from the demonic to the deeply sad. Gruesome apparitions, oppressive atmosphere, and throughout it all, a profound appreciation for the haunting beauty of Europe through the eyes of an American architect. Includes The Dead Valley, a story singled out as "memorably potent" by H.P. Lovecraft. "Black spirits and white - Red spirits and gray - Mingle, mingle, mingle - Ye that mingle may." (Summary by Andrew Gaunce, with excerpt from Shakespeare's Macbeth)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26687
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Short Stories/Single Author Collections
    Keywords that describe the book: horror, ghost stories, hauntings
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Black Spirits and White: A Book of Ghost Stories. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Black Spirits and White: A Book of Ghost Stories, by Ralph Adams Cram. [Story Title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Black Spirits and White: A Book of Ghost Stories by Ralph Adams Cram. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Story Title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Story Title]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Black Spirits and White: A Book of Ghost Stories, by Ralph Adams Cram. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename blackspiritsandwhite_##_cram_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. blackspiritsandwhite_01_cram_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by OooThatsNifty on February 26th, 2021, 11:55 am, edited 11 times in total.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » January 16th, 2021, 9:06 pm

A few of these stories have been done for the Ghost / Horror story collections over the years, but it doesn't look like anyone's tackled the collection as a whole just yet. There's some really great stuff in here.

I've shorted the filename suggested by the template, and slightly modified the intro so I remember to include the title of each story. Let me know if that looks alright, or if I missed anything :)

Thanks!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » January 17th, 2021, 12:01 am

Your template looks very good indeed - I'm happy to MC this for you.

Back in a moment with the MW...
... and back we are and set up it is.

Let's wait a couple days to see if we get us a DPL, other than that, you're good to go. Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » January 17th, 2021, 8:40 am

Wonderful! Thanks very much!

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » January 22nd, 2021, 7:40 pm

Still hoping for a DPL to join us, but in the meantime I figured I'd get started - Section 1, No. 252 Rue M. le Prince, is waiting patiently in the MW :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/blackspiritsandwhite_01_cram_128kb.mp3
Time: 33:32

Lovecraft singles out The Dead Valley in his oft-quoted essay 'Supernatural Horror in Literature', but reading through this first story, it's not hard to imagine that he must have found some inspiration here as well.

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » January 23rd, 2021, 3:23 pm

Hi!

I volunteer to DPL if you still need someone to listen to the stories.

(I love scary stories )

Jasna :D
Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English
Cuentos festivos para niños menores de 50 años
Viajes de Marco Polo Cuentos Ingenuos de Felipe Trigo

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » January 23rd, 2021, 3:57 pm

Dulcamara wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 3:23 pm
Hi!

I volunteer to DPL if you still need someone to listen to the stories.

(I love scary stories )
Perfect! Thank you!

Planning to record the second story tonight, but might be a day or two before I get a chance to edit.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » January 23rd, 2021, 4:54 pm

Welcome to the project, Dulcamara - you're in as DPL! Have fun! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » January 23rd, 2021, 5:28 pm

Thank you, Availle!

Section 1: PL OK :clap:

Te invitamos a leer con nosotros! En Readers Wanted, Languages Other than English

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » January 24th, 2021, 11:05 am

Section 2: In Kropfsberg Keep

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/blackspiritsandwhite_02_cram_128kb.mp3
Time: 24:29

Thanks again!

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » January 24th, 2021, 2:02 pm

Section 2: Pl OK :D

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » February 6th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Hey Dulcamara!

Just an update - things have been busy on my end for the last week or so, but I'm hoping to record The White Villa tomorrow night & have it posted shortly thereafter. Sister Maddelena will likely follow a few days after that.

Thanks again!

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » February 7th, 2021, 2:36 am

Hi, OoothatsNifty,

Thank you for the update. I really enjoy your reading! :clap:

OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty » February 9th, 2021, 3:23 pm

Section 3: The White Villa

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/blackspiritsandwhite_03_cram_128kb.mp3
Time: 30:39

Thanks for listening - glad you're enjoying it so far!

Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara » February 10th, 2021, 1:49 pm

And another cool, creepy story is ready! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Section 3 is PL OK.