Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » February 26th, 2021, 1:11 am

Sunrise2020 wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 10:30 am
Hello Peter,
I really enjoy your recordings and this will be a fun project! :clap:
PL of the first two sections is okay.
Thanks, Suzanne. Hope I can live up to that!
I have now uploaded section 02: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_02_conrad_128kb.mp3 (47:19)
Peter Dann
But to wallow in your own phrases, to be rejoiced by the savour of your own shrewd pawkiness, to feel your rhythm balanced and yet sober — that is a pleasure beyond most  — Ford Madox Ford, "Some Do Not..."

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 26th, 2021, 8:31 am

TheBanjo wrote:
February 26th, 2021, 1:11 am
Sunrise2020 wrote:
February 25th, 2021, 10:30 am
Hello Peter,
I really enjoy your recordings and this will be a fun project! :clap:
PL of the first two sections is okay.
Thanks, Suzanne. Hope I can live up to that!
I have now uploaded section 02: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_02_conrad_128kb.mp3 (47:19)
Having listened to the next section, I'm sure you'll do great :D .

PL is okay.
==========
Susanne

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » February 26th, 2021, 6:52 pm

Have uploaded section 03: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_03_conrad_128kb.mp3 (30:54)

Still waiting to find out what 'the arrow of gold' turns out to be...
Peter Dann
But to wallow in your own phrases, to be rejoiced by the savour of your own shrewd pawkiness, to feel your rhythm balanced and yet sober — that is a pleasure beyond most  — Ford Madox Ford, "Some Do Not..."

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » February 27th, 2021, 12:25 am

Have uploaded section 4: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_04_conrad_128kb.mp3 (17:39)

Something important finally happens - but it spoil all the fun if I told you what, wouldn't it?
Peter Dann

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 27th, 2021, 11:22 am

TheBanjo wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 12:25 am
Have uploaded section 4: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_04_conrad_128kb.mp3 (17:39)

Something important finally happens - but it spoil all the fun if I told you what, wouldn't it?
No revelations, please but I like hints and insights :)

I wanted to PL today but I made a mistake while downloading the files. I'll catch up tomorrow.
==========
Susanne

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » February 27th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Sunrise2020 wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 11:22 am

I wanted to PL today but I made a mistake while downloading the files. I'll catch up tomorrow.
It's so kind of you to be doing what you're doing with the DPL role, Suzanne. I'm certainly not expecting 24 hour turnaround, or anything like it. We've got lots of time.
Peter
Peter Dann

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » February 27th, 2021, 11:04 pm

Peter Dann

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » February 27th, 2021, 11:10 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has yet written a dissertation on Conrad's use of cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke and the style of narrative he uses for a given novel. The novels which are cast as 'yarns' (where the narrative voice is that of a person recounting a tale to an audience, much as one might tell a long anecdote to friends) seem to have lots of smoke in this (I'm thinking of Mills' pipe here) whereas the 'straight' narratives (eg, Nostromo, A Secret Agent) are rather less smoky.
Peter Dann

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » February 28th, 2021, 11:19 am

TheBanjo wrote:
February 27th, 2021, 11:10 pm
I'm wondering if anyone has yet written a dissertation on Conrad's use of cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke and the style of narrative he uses for a given novel. The novels which are cast as 'yarns' (where the narrative voice is that of a person recounting a tale to an audience, much as one might tell a long anecdote to friends) seem to have lots of smoke in this (I'm thinking of Mills' pipe here) whereas the 'straight' narratives (eg, Nostromo, A Secret Agent) are rather less smoky.
Now that would be a worthwhile research project to find the dissertation! I'm sure it exists. What is smoke replaced with in today's yarny novels seeing that smoking has become so much less acceptable than during Conrad's days? Today I was more careful when I downloaded the files and they were an enjoyable companion on my afternoon walk. I find I need to pay quite close attention to these drawing room conversations or I loose the thread.
==========
Susanne

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » March 1st, 2021, 1:24 am

Ha! Almost everything I've ever listened to on Librivox, I've listened to while walking. I've found it a great way to listen to some classic literature (not that that's all that's on Librivox of course).

I've uploaded section 07: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_07_conrad_128kb.mp3 (37:11)
Peter Dann

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » March 1st, 2021, 10:35 am

TheBanjo wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 1:24 am
Ha! Almost everything I've ever listened to on Librivox, I've listened to while walking. I've found it a great way to listen to some classic literature (not that that's all that's on Librivox of course).

I've uploaded section 07: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_07_conrad_128kb.mp3 (37:11)
PL of Section 7 is okay.

I discovered Librivox when I was on a long-distance hike and couldn't take any books. When I got off the trail, I started to volunteer. :D
==========
Susanne

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » March 2nd, 2021, 4:25 am

Peter Dann

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » March 2nd, 2021, 9:03 am

PL of Section 8 is okay.
==========
Susanne

TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo » March 2nd, 2021, 10:21 pm

I have uploaded section 10: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_10_conrad_128kb.mp3 (17:22)

I find I am constantly being surprised by the apparently oblique quality of much of Conrad's dialog in this novel. The characters all apparently grasp quite readily the subtext of what another person is saying, but as a reader in 2021, accustomed, perhaps, to being 'spoon fed' on less challenging dialog from more recent writers (and, I suspect, their editors) I find I am often asking myself "did people really speak this intelligently once, with such ready understanding of each other's complex motivations and hopes?" There's so much "between the lines".
Peter Dann

Sunrise2020

Post by Sunrise2020 » March 3rd, 2021, 3:55 am

TheBanjo wrote:
March 2nd, 2021, 10:21 pm
I have uploaded section 10: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/arrowofgold_10_conrad_128kb.mp3 (17:22)

I find I am constantly being surprised by the apparently oblique quality of much of Conrad's dialog in this novel. The characters all apparently grasp quite readily the subtext of what another person is saying, but as a reader in 2021, accustomed, perhaps, to being 'spoon fed' on less challenging dialog from more recent writers (and, I suspect, their editors) I find I am often asking myself "did people really speak this intelligently once, with such ready understanding of each other's complex motivations and hopes?" There's so much "between the lines".
PL of Sections 9 and 10 is okay.

Not only are the dialogues are lot more deliberate and polite than our conversations today but I find that the thoughts of the characters are often more sophisticated than mine. Is it artistic license of refining or a lost way of thinking and speaking?
==========
Susanne