COMPLETE Four Hundred Years of Freethought, Part I, by Samuel P. Putnam - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Four Hundred Years of Freethought, Part I, by Samuel P. Putnam (1838 - 1896)

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/four-hundred-years-of-freethought-by-samuel-porter-putnam/
This is Samuel Putnam's tour of European literature which began to appear once the globe was circumnavigated and the printing press made books more available, which encouraged thinking and questioning beyond the confines of the Bible and provincial customs. It traces the modernization of education as we learned more about the universe -- astronomy, physics and science, philosophy -- and delved into understanding our own natures beyond religious constraints. It begins with Giordano Bruno, then bounces around among an array of philosophers - Bruno, Spinoza, Descartes, Locke, Spencer, Heeckel, etc., while making a sweep through Literature, the discovery of America, the French and American Revolutions, America's Civil War, playwrights like Shakespeare, agnostics like Ingersoll and Paine, the major and minor poets of Europe and America, geology, evolution, politics, nature, ethics, women's emancipation, and evaluates the influence of freethought in the Western world as of the 1890's. Putnam was a highly accomplished and prolific writer and poet, easy to follow yet often profound. (Summary by Michele Fry, BC)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/400yearsoffreeth00putn

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. It is much appreciated if you check in from time to time to let your BC know you are still interested in participating, and If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section(s) you would like to read, and wait for acknowledgment before you begin to record. Feel free to claim a whole chapter even though it is divided into sections, or just the sections that appeal to you. Be aware that some sections include material other than what the title indicates. Word Counts are approximate.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special, I will follow along with the text and notate significant discrepancies.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.
Readers are expected to edit and proof listen their own work before submitting it for a final PL.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: RU9Fsucv
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Porter_Putnam (Samuel P. Putnam)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 55
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known):
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Early Modern

Keywords that describe the book: philosophy, Robert Ingersoll, Giordano Bruno, Shakespeare, American Revolution, French Revolution, Spinoza, Descartes

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter X, Part Y(as shown in the MW) of Four Hundred Years of Freethought, by Samuel P. Putnam. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] Section Title (as shown in the MW)[/i]."
e.g. "Chapter 13, Part 4 of Four Hundred Years of Freethought, by Samuel P. Putnam. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] Chapter 13, Part 4, The French Revolution (as shown in the MW)."[/i]
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter X, Part Y, Title (as shown in the MW[/i]." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
e.g. "End of Chapter 13, Part 4, The French Revolution

If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Four Hundred Years of Freethought, by Samuel P. Putnam."
NOTE: Not sure how to pronounce Putnam? Is it put (Put that down), or putt (he's on the putting green). I have found it both ways on various pronunciation sites, so unless someone knows for sure, I'll recommend a blend of the two. Do the best you can.
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Naming your file: for best results copy and paste the bold text, change the ## to your section, and save as an mp3: 4hundredyearsoffreethought_##_putnam_128kb.mp3 (e.g. 4hundredyearsoffreethought_01_putnam_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread followed by the file duration (mm:ss), e.g. 11:18.
Watch this thread for prooflistening notes, and make your corrections within the time alloted.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post in this thread.

BC/DPL Michele Fry (msfry)
MC: Rapunzelina
Cover: Michele Fry (msfry)
Last edited by msfry on January 7th, 2024, 8:23 am, edited 16 times in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

An ambitious project, Michele!

I don't usually put in advance claims, but I would be very keen on reading Chapter V The Reformation. Depending on how it is divided up, I would also be interested in part, or all of Chapter VI Bruno and Spinoza, the latter especially in honor of one of my college term papers -- returned to me with a lot of red ink! :roll:
~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ok, Larry. I'll reserve these for you when I get the MW and add the approximate word counts. Bruno 3600, Spinoza 2700. You can ditch Bruno later if you wish.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Hey Michelle,

Chapter XVIII on Modern Europe Literature, etc. looks interesting to me. Count me in!
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: August 19th, 2023, 9:21 am Hey Michelle,

Chapter XVIII on Modern Europe Literature, etc. looks interesting to me. Count me in!
You got it! Thanks.
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Michele, would you please put me in for chapters 8, 16 and 20? If three is too many, I'll take 16 and 20.
msfry

Post by msfry »

RitaBoutros wrote: August 19th, 2023, 1:35 pm Michele, would you please put me in for chapters 8, 16 and 20? If three is too many, I'll take 16 and 20.
You'll see when I get the MW filled it, it's a big chunk. But I'll keep your name on it til you see for yourself.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Michele and team! Let me MC this project. I will go set you up with a Magic Window now.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

MW at your disposal!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 20th, 2023, 11:23 am MW at your disposal!
Whee! Now to get the MW filled in, and we're on our way.
msfry

Post by msfry »

MaryinArkansas wrote: August 19th, 2023, 9:21 am Hey Michelle,

I haven't got the word count on Chapter 18 yet, Modern Europe - Literature, but it should be ready by tomorrow and I'll enter your claim.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

All looks great in the MW now! Moved to Readers Wanted!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Ok, Mary, I've assigned you 43-46, four juicy little sections on "European Literature". I can't wait to have these read to me. If it turns out you want fewer sections, just let me know.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 21st, 2023, 10:54 am All looks great in the MW now! Moved to Readers Wanted!
And away we go!
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

msfry wrote: August 21st, 2023, 10:55 am Ok, Mary, I've assigned you 43-46, four juicy little sections on "European Literature". I can't wait to have these read to me. If it turns out you want fewer sections, just let me know.
Thanks, Michele. Hope to get started some time next week.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚