[COMPLETE] THE BIRTH OF YUGOSLAVIA VOLUME 1 by Henry Baerlein - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

EastCentralMinnesota wrote: October 28th, 2023, 4:23 pm Section 15 is ready for PL. Duration 37:50

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia1_15_baerlein_128kb.mp3
Hi Keith
It’s PL OK. However I wanted to let you know about the tiniest of intermittent background whines, purely so you can decide whether to address it as an improvement. No idea if it’s related to your new mic setup or a background issue. It’s really quite difficult to detect but the clearest example is the transition from when it’s there to when it’s not at around 27:47 - 27:49. I’ll mark as PL OK regardless.
EastCentralMinnesota

Post by EastCentralMinnesota »

PaulWelford wrote: October 28th, 2023, 9:38 pm Hi Keith
It’s PL OK. However I wanted to let you know about the tiniest of intermittent background whines, purely so you can decide whether to address it as an improvement. No idea if it’s related to your new mic setup or a background issue. It’s really quite difficult to detect but the clearest example is the transition from when it’s there to when it’s not at around 27:47 - 27:49. I’ll mark as PL OK regardless.
Let me give it a listen. It <should> be easy to fix. Thank you for letting me know. In Minnesota, it's that time of year when the furnace blower kicks in from time to time, without listening, I can guess that is what it is. My noise filters likely need a little tweak to get rid of it. --- I hope to have a revision in the next few days.
EastCentralMinnesota

Section 15 is modified. As expected, it was the furnace blower kicking on/off. I had to adjust my noise filters. I think I got all the spots affected.

PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

EastCentralMinnesota wrote: October 31st, 2023, 12:59 am
Section 15 is modified. As expected, it was the furnace blower kicking on/off. I had to adjust my noise filters. I think I got all the spots affected.

Much better! 👍
EastCentralMinnesota

PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

EastCentralMinnesota wrote: November 5th, 2023, 11:40 pm Section 16 ready for PL. Duration 34:09

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia1_16_baerlein_128kb.mp3
PL OK - sorry for the delay. New job, new country, no Wi-Fi for a week. All ok now.
EastCentralMinnesota

PaulWelford wrote: November 10th, 2023, 6:32 am New job, new country, no Wi-Fi for a week. All ok now.
Congratulations on the new job! I haven't traveled for work in some years - it was always tough, but I miss it. Hopefully, you're in a good spot.
EastCentralMinnesota

Section 17 is ready for PL. Duration 36:24

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia1_17_baerlein_128kb.mp3

I'm starting to close in on the end of this volume - we are now at page 239 of 300 - and we're progressing about 15 pages per section. The next section will be ready late November.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

EastCentralMinnesota wrote: November 16th, 2023, 12:18 am Section 17 is ready for PL. Duration 36:24

https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia1_17_baerlein_128kb.mp3

I'm starting to close in on the end of this volume - we are now at page 239 of 300 - and we're progressing about 15 pages per section. The next section will be ready late November.
👍
PL OK
EastCentralMinnesota

EastCentralMinnesota

EastCentralMinnesota

Advice is needed.

On page 279, there is a table of data consuming the entire page. I'm looking for advice on how best to approach this since reading each and every datum in the table would be confusing, but ignoring the table would leave the listener unaware of valuable data that they missed.

The author breaks each chapter into topics with a new topic heading every 1-10 pages. (There are usually 3-8 topics per the 15 pages in each section I record.) When footnotes apply, I have ended the topic by announcing, "Footnote regarding _ ...<footnote text>... End of footnote."

As a proposal, I would suggest addressing the table at the end of the topic (which will be about 2/3 through the Librivox audio section #20 that I am recording). I propose saying,

"Note regarding a table on page 279 of the book. This table extensively details data about war trials. Only a brief summary of the data is being read... In 1914, there were 442 persons tried by the imperial and royal court. Of these, 233 were charged with military offenses such as desertion, self-inflicted wounds, insubordination, and disregard of calling-up orders. In that same year, 1914, fifty-two persons were charged with offenses against the state, such as high treason, espionage, insults against the emperor, and offenses against public order. By 1918, this increased to 25,095 persons tried by the court, with 19,838 charged with military offenses and 559 persons charged with offenses against the state... End of note regarding the table on page 279."

I would then continue reading from page 282, the section titled "The Faithful Italians."

If there is a better way to handle this, I would value your experience and direction.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

EastCentralMinnesota wrote: November 26th, 2023, 10:20 am Advice is needed.

On page 279, there is a table of data consuming the entire page. I'm looking for advice on how best to approach this since reading each and every datum in the table would be confusing, but ignoring the table would leave the listener unaware of valuable data that they missed.

The author breaks each chapter into topics with a new topic heading every 1-10 pages. (There are usually 3-8 topics per the 15 pages in each section I record.) When footnotes apply, I have ended the topic by announcing, "Footnote regarding _ ...<footnote text>... End of footnote."

As a proposal, I would suggest addressing the table at the end of the topic (which will be about 2/3 through the Librivox audio section #20 that I am recording). I propose saying,

"Note regarding a table on page 279 of the book. This table extensively details data about war trials. Only a brief summary of the data is being read... In 1914, there were 442 persons tried by the imperial and royal court. Of these, 233 were charged with military offenses such as desertion, self-inflicted wounds, insubordination, and disregard of calling-up orders. In that same year, 1914, fifty-two persons were charged with offenses against the state, such as high treason, espionage, insults against the emperor, and offenses against public order. By 1918, this increased to 25,095 persons tried by the court, with 19,838 charged with military offenses and 559 persons charged with offenses against the state... End of note regarding the table on page 279."

I would then continue reading from page 282, the section titled "The Faithful Italians."

If there is a better way to handle this, I would value your experience and direction.
Sounds fine to me Keith but better defer to Michael as I’ve seen different PLs and MCs say different things in response to such suggestions from the hardline ‘Librivox says no reader notes whatsoever’ to allowing it.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

We can omit certain types of non-textual content that aren't suited for an audiobook, like number-heavy tables, but we can't include our own paraphrase or comments in the recording. That shouldn't be controversial; it's a basic Librivox principle, found at the top of our recording policy page. ("You may not add or remove text. You may not add an audio introduction or editorial comment. You can however include this kind of thing in the catalog text.") One option is to skip the table and mention it in the book summary with a page number, so that the listeners are aware of it and can consult the text if they're interested. Another option is to read the table, which is somewhat difficult to do in this case, since it conveys both the proportions across the columns and the trend across the rows. You could read it row by row, giving the column titles in full for the first row and abbreviating them for the following rows, as in:

In 1915,
total number tried: 2730,
charged with military offenses: 1688,
offenses against the state: 66,
charged under rubric 4: 53,
convicted: 3,
acquitted: 6

This is pushing the limits of what can be considered reading out loud, but not exceeding them, since you would be preserving the original information in the table and not adding anything of your own.
When footnotes apply, I have ended the topic by announcing, "Footnote regarding _ ...<footnote text>... End of footnote."
This is acceptable, though unusual for LV. We normally place footnotes at the end of the phrase or sentence or paragraph and start them simply by saying "footnote". You as soloist/BC can also decide to skip footnotes altogether, since they aren't part of the main body of text.

Michael
EastCentralMinnesota

Kazbek wrote: November 26th, 2023, 3:30 pm We can omit certain types of non-textual content that aren't suited for an audiobook, like number-heavy tables ... One option is to skip the table and mention it in the book summary with a page number, so that the listeners are aware of it and can consult the text if they're interested...
This seems good advice. I am glad I asked.
When footnotes apply, I have ended the topic by announcing, "Footnote regarding _ ...<footnote text>... End of footnote."
Kazbek wrote: November 26th, 2023, 3:30 pm This is acceptable, though unusual for LV. We normally place footnotes at the end of the phrase or sentence or paragraph and start them simply by saying "footnote". You as soloist/BC can also decide to skip footnotes altogether, since they aren't part of the main body of text.
This is good to know. I will continue this book with my current style to maintain consistency, but I know better for my next book. I am skipping footnotes that are only citations but am reading those that add detail to the text.