[COMPLETE] The Uninhabited House by Mrs. J. H. Riddell - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sweetnecromancy84

Post by sweetnecromancy84 »

Okay, thank you for all this info! I appreciate you holding the chapter for a few days for me. Sorry, I did not realize my one-minute test had been replied to. Still figuring out how things work here.

I will try the one-minute test again. I think I would like my display name to be LaraJ.

Best,
LaraJ

P.S. I wondered, that if you are planning on holding the chapter for me for a few days, does that mean I should aim to complete the recording in a few days as well, if I manage to hang on to it? Or can I still abide by the 2-month deadline? Of course I will try to get it done as quickly as possible, I am just still getting the hang of recording with my microphone, and using Audacity, as it is all new to me. I thought this chapter would be a nice challenge to keep myself focused. Reading it is no problem, of course, just the technical stuff. This does seem like a fun book to start with. Of course, if another open chapter would be preferable, that's OK too.
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: November 28th, 2023, 5:51 am Okay, thank you for all this info! I appreciate you holding the chapter for a few days for me. Sorry, I did not realize my one-minute test had been replied to. Still figuring out how things work here.

I will try the one-minute test again. I think I would like my display name to be LaraJ.

Best,
LaraJ

P.S. I wondered, that if you are planning on holding the chapter for me for a few days, does that mean I should aim to complete the recording in a few days as well, if I manage to hang on to it? Or can I still abide by the 2-month deadline? Of course I will try to get it done as quickly as possible, I am just still getting the hang of recording with my microphone, and using Audacity, as it is all new to me. I thought this chapter would be a nice challenge to keep myself focused. Reading it is no problem, of course, just the technical stuff. This does seem like a fun book to start with. Of course, if another open chapter would be preferable, that's OK too.
Hi LaraJ,

You would have 2 months to complete the recording from the date on which your claim is accepted. I just can't promise to hold the section for 2 months pending an OK on your 1-minute test. I did that a few times in the distant past and regretted it on one occasion when someone never resubmitted their 1-minute. So that's why I said that I'd hold the section for a few days.

One of the things that I like best about LV is that folks here tend to be very supportive of each other. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to post on this topic or send a PM.

I think that the fact that you passed tech specs on your first try is very encouraging. Not every new volunteer does that.

Thanks,
Brian
Epic voice actors needed for The Ring Cycle
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - and a heroic young doctor in love needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: November 27th, 2023, 10:33 pm Hello! I'm new here, but I would like to read chapter 14, A Terrible Interview, if it is not already claimed.
Welcome aboard LaraJ! Thank you for choosing this as your first LV project! I know that you have already read all of this topic's first post - the one that contains the Magic Window - and that's probably the best advice I could have given you for your first claimed recording. And, as always, if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask. Best, Brian
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - and a heroic young doctor in love needed for Gold-Killer
valroth

Post by valroth »

BrianFullen wrote: November 27th, 2023, 10:17 am
valroth wrote: November 27th, 2023, 9:25 am
If you share the first paragraph of your memoir, I’ll claim Chapter 4 of this book. A fair exchange, right? (Wait —it better not begin with, “It was a dark and stormy night…” :lol:
Well it goes goes a little like:

"Bodhisattva / Would you take me by the hand / Bodhisattva / Would you take me by the hand / Can you show me / The shine of your Japan / The sparkle of your china / Can you show me/ Bodhisattva"

Admittedly it's somewhat exactly the same as some Steely Dan lyrics and that's where I'm now stuck. How can I plagiarize these so I don't run afoul of lax US copyright laws let alone the inordinately strict Canadian ones?

Now I simply must get busy updating the MW showing that you now have Chapter 4. With that I'm starting my Countdown to Ecstasy timer until such time as your recording is ready for PL! :lol:

Meanwhile what should we get Winnifred for Christmas? I'm thinking she'd probably love to have a Joey Daccord jersey!
:lol: Geesh Brian, you wiggled out of our deal! (Those Steely Dan lyrics confused me back in the 70s and confuse me even more now.) But maybe the lyrics were meant as a metaphor compared with the first paragraph of your memoir? You know, as a confusingly brilliant collection of utterances? (ie: “ga ga, goo goo?”) Well, I did ask you to start at the beginning! :lol:

Enough stalling Val, let’s get going on Chapter 4!

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

valroth wrote: November 29th, 2023, 8:25 am
:lol: Geesh Brian, you wiggled out of our deal! (Those Steely Dan lyrics confused me back in the 70s and confuse me even more now.) But maybe the lyrics were meant as a metaphor compared with the first paragraph of your memoir? You know, as a confusingly brilliant collection of utterances? (ie: “ga ga, goo goo?”) Well, I did ask you to start at the beginning! :lol:

Enough stalling Val, let’s get going on Chapter 4!

Val
Very 8-) Maybe by the time I'm done listening to Zenyatta Mondatta - bonus points if you can tell me what that means - which I'll just now start playing you'll have finished Cahpter 4! :lol: Of course I mainly only listen to Canadian recording artists like Joni Mitchell, Bruce Cockburn, [and just so you don't think I'm stuck in the 60's and early 70's] The Halluci Nation! When I'm in my car and anything by The Halluci Nation comes on my radio I car seat dance and if other drivers notice me doing that they tend to give me wide berth which is just the way I like it! I used to listen to Neil Young but he mostly only plays that one note over and over and I really hope someone gets him more guitar strings this Christmas. I didn't much like Punk in the beginning because I only dance when I'm sitting down like in my car seat and I would have gotten trampled in the mosh pit. Also I don't really enjoy spitting on or being spat on. But over time I've evolved - not about the spitting stuff, I still don't like that - or about dancing in the upright position. But 70's punk sounds good to me now. When we exhaust that we could move on to New Wave. Do you like singing Blondie? The Talking Heads? :lol:
LGreene

Post by LGreene »

Can I claim Chapter 6: We Agree to Compromise

Thanks
Lisa
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Val, I've been thinking. Don't stop reading! :roll: I do have truly great ideas if I do say so myself. :wink: And who else would :?:

Before the most recent screen writers' strike I should have pitched a game show where the contestant who does the best chair dance wins. :hmm: Don't :lol: I'm serious as I ever am! I mean I seem to recall a show (albeit short-lived) where the best 'air guitarist' won each week! TV is always looking for content. So maybe the ship hasn't sailed. Right? I said, RIGHT?!

We could call the show "America's Got Bottom!" or maybe in Canada we could call it "Yeah! Butt!" :shock:

Winnifred seems like a representative Canadian to me and maybe we could run this idea by her as sort of a market test. Unless she doesn't like the idea in which case we'll find another Canadian for the market test.

We could pitch the TV execs at Fox Canada (is there such a thing?) and MTV.ca when we're ready. You write the copy and record the 15 or 30 second promo which we'll use for the pilot - and probably the first 5 seasons! - and we could package that for our pitch to the execs. I'll research service mark and trade mark stuff to make sure we're OK legally.

When your promo recording for the pilot is nailed (best enthusiastic, winning-you-over-Val) maybe I could add a section to the MW (if Tricia doesn't mind) and perhaps Christine would proof it for us. Heck, maybe Tricia would run it through her any-to-any, speech-to-text-to-speech program to generate a French language version so we'd have a promo for the Québécois (you just know they'd love it, doncha!).

Just imagine the contestants wanting to curry favor with the live audience doing their best wiggle or twerk or whatever after their chair dance performance. I could also start in on the play list for the chair dancing routines. In fact, I'll start right now! :D

I can't wait until we're on TV! :9: Can you? Who should we get to host? Who's the Canadian Ryan Seacrest? :help:
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

LGreene wrote: November 29th, 2023, 11:15 am Can I claim Chapter 6: We Agree to Compromise

Thanks
Lisa
You sure can, Lisa. I'll agree to that! Thanks, Brian
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here's Chapter 8 for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/uninhabitedhouse_08_riddell_128kb.mp3 (16:59).

Having studiously avoided all game shows and reality TV for much of my life, I'm probably not the best test subject. I might just tell you what I really think :lol: :roll: :wink:

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The First Sir Percy: An Adventure of the Laughing Cavalier by Baroness Orczy (Scarlet Pimpernel)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: November 29th, 2023, 6:42 pm Here's Chapter 8 for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/uninhabitedhouse_08_riddell_128kb.mp3 (16:59).

Having studiously avoided all game shows and reality TV for much of my life, I'm probably not the best test subject. I might just tell you what I really think :lol: :roll: :wink:

Cheers,
Seriously? Not even Jeopardy! (with Alex Trebek)? Thank you for Chapter 08 marked ready for PL.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

BrianFullen wrote: November 29th, 2023, 7:02 pm
Winnifred wrote: November 29th, 2023, 6:42 pm Here's Chapter 8 for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/uninhabitedhouse_08_riddell_128kb.mp3 (16:59).

Cheers,
Seriously? Not even Jeopardy! (with Alex Trebek)? Thank you for Chapter 08 marked ready for PL.
Not even Jeopardy. We didn’t have a television at all until I was 12, and I always did prefer fiction to “real” life.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
The First Sir Percy: An Adventure of the Laughing Cavalier by Baroness Orczy (Scarlet Pimpernel)
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Winnifred wrote: November 29th, 2023, 7:58 pm We didn’t have a television at all until I was 12, and I always did prefer fiction to “real” life.
We didn't have a TV until I was 4. My earliest memories are of listening to The Lone Ranger on the radio. I still get exited when I hear The William Tell Overture (doesn't everyone) but I miss the "Hi, ho, Silver, Away!" part.
sweetnecromancy84

Post by sweetnecromancy84 »

BrianFullen wrote: November 28th, 2023, 9:35 pm
sweetnecromancy84 wrote: November 27th, 2023, 10:33 pm Hello! I'm new here, but I would like to read chapter 14, A Terrible Interview, if it is not already claimed.
Welcome aboard LaraJ! Thank you for choosing this as your first LV project! I know that you have already read all of this topic's first post - the one that contains the Magic Window - and that's probably the best advice I could have given you for your first claimed recording. And, as always, if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask. Best, Brian
Thanks so much, Brian! I am very excited to start my recording journey!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

sweetnecromancy84 wrote: November 29th, 2023, 8:52 pm
BrianFullen wrote: November 28th, 2023, 9:35 pm
Thanks so much, Brian! I am very excited to start my recording journey!
:D
valroth

Post by valroth »

The confounding Miss. Blake is at it again! Here is Chapter 4.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/uninhabitedhouse_04_riddell_128kb.mp3

Time: 23:31

Val
“Life offers up these moments of joy despite everything.” ― Sally Rooney, Normal People