COMPLETE [PLAY] The White Christmas by Walter Ben Hare - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I think I can pass for a shepherd, although my bathrobe is a bit tattered, so you can sign me up for Timothy. And, that is because I don't know how to pronounce Melchoir, whom I am used to hearing as Melchior. How to Pronounce gives at least three variations for this alternate spelling.

Singing? Probably not. While I participate in congregational singing, anything beyond that can be pretty rough. I may think about some of the ones that are familiar, like Hark the Herald Angels Sing.
~ Larry
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

silverquill wrote: November 25th, 2023, 11:13 pm Well, I think I can pass for a shepherd, although my bathrobe is a bit tattered, so you can sign me up for Timothy. And, that is because I don't know how to pronounce Melchoir, whom I am used to hearing as Melchior. How to Pronounce gives at least three variations for this alternate spelling.

Singing? Probably not. While I participate in congregational singing, anything beyond that can be pretty rough. I may think about some of the ones that are familiar, like Hark the Herald Angels Sing.
Thank you Larry.

I too am accustomed to anglicized spellings in e.g. Biblical Magi wikipedia article . For stage directions I'm assuming that what matters most is that I'm consistent in the pronunciations I use. I've recorded stage directions but I haven't edited those yet so I'm not sure that I was entirely consistent while recording. :)

Best wishes,
Brian
Epic voice actors needed for The Ring Cycle
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - and a heroic young doctor in love needed for Gold-Killer
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Thanks so much Larry. I'm editing scene 1 now and hope to be starting scene 2 tomorrow. I'll PL these recordings as I start in on scene 2. I hope you don't mind a slight delay until then. Cheers, Brian
Mobsters - you don't have to be larcenous, you can pretend - and a heroic young doctor in love needed for Gold-Killer
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Thanks again for these recordings Larry. I'm sure I owe you a 'striped mantle' which is Timothy's preferred accoutrements according to Walter Ben Hare. I'm not sure where to find one. Resale shop perhaps?

I've marked them both PL OK but I'm curious about the clause "without a speck or flaw." at 0:21.190 in whitechristmas_timothy_2.mp3. I think I've listened to it twenty times or more and sometime it sounds flawless but other times I think I'm hearing "spleck" [sic]. I don't know how to explain this phenomenon. Could you please listen to that line once again and tell me what you hear?

Thank you,
Brian
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

BrianFullen wrote: November 25th, 2023, 8:07 pm There is a slight omission in Scene 2 in which the word 'ever' is absent from the line "And see, it ever shines o'er Bethlehem!".
I've re-recorded those few lines of verse, rather than try a patch. Here is the updated file for Thomas, scene 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/whitechristmas_thomas_2.mp3 (0:51)
Dramatic Finish
Bobby - "no longer a mollycoddle" - is the last role in Fanny's First Play
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

redrun wrote: November 28th, 2023, 5:14 pm
BrianFullen wrote: November 25th, 2023, 8:07 pm There is a slight omission in Scene 2 in which the word 'ever' is absent from the line "And see, it ever shines o'er Bethlehem!".
I've re-recorded those few lines of verse, rather than try a patch. Here is the updated file for Thomas, scene 2:
Thank you!
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

redrun wrote: November 28th, 2023, 5:14 pm
PLOK! Perfect. Thank you. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

TriciaG wrote: November 30th, 2023, 12:53 pm Here's the 4th verse of Joy, alto and soprano. Hopefully you can just slot them in where they need to go.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/whitechristmas_joy_4thverse_soprano_tg.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/whitechristmas_joy_4thverse_alto_tg.mp3
Thank you! Thank you! Fantastic timing. I've just finished listening to my first cut of scene 3 editing and was thinking how much better Joy to the World would sound with these recordings of yours. I'll mix them in this evening and plan to have a "safe keeping" version of scene 3 uploaded to tomorrow. I really do appreciate all that you have done for this project, Tricia. I am quite pleased with the current state of the three scenes. :D
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Hi Rapunzelina! I've claimed the last open role. I do understand that I'm already doing both narration as well as the role of Isaac but I honestly don't think it will be a problem. I'll admit that I was surprised that Isaac did not sound more like me as narrator even though I did not consciously strive to make them sound different. I think the fact that I recorded Isaac about a year ago helped with that difference. I think I've learned something about making these recordings over the last year or at least I sure hope I'm still capable of learning (anyway I am a year older even if not particularly wiser). When I record the "wise" Melchoir I do plan to give him a unique voice. Of course I haven't recorded him yet and I'd surrender the role to you ... if you'd care to do it. I listened to your contribution on The Show Must Go On for the dramatic scene & story collection volume 4 - it was excellent of course, if you don't mind my saying so - and while I think that you and I sound a lot alike (not exactly twins, but close), I'd rather listen to you than to me, if the choice is up to me. Best wishes, Brian
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BrianFullen wrote: November 27th, 2023, 10:38 pm
Thanks again for these recordings Larry. I'm sure I owe you a 'striped mantle' which is Timothy's preferred accoutrements according to Walter Ben Hare. I'm not sure where to find one. Resale shop perhaps?

I've marked them both PL OK but I'm curious about the clause "without a speck or flaw." at 0:21.190 in whitechristmas_timothy_2.mp3. I think I've listened to it twenty times or more and sometime it sounds flawless but other times I think I'm hearing "spleck" [sic]. I don't know how to explain this phenomenon. Could you please listen to that line once again and tell me what you hear?

Thank you,
Brian
Spleck! I love to add new words to the English language. :lol:

See if you can use this:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/whitechristmas_timothy_2.mp3
~ Larry
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

silverquill wrote: November 30th, 2023, 1:26 pm I love to add new words to the English language. :lol:

See if you can use this:
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/whitechristmas_timothy_2.mp3
You are the blest or best. I think that works nicely either way! :D
BrianFullen

Post by BrianFullen »

Hi Rapunzelina,

I hope you are having a nice day! I'll try not to spoil it! :)

I've marked two more hymns - Joy to the World and While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks - ready for PL. I've also uploaded the most recent mixes of these to the White Christmas music share. I do enjoy listening to the quartet of Tricia and Nicole but I do think that the hymns would benefit from more voices. Ultimately, I plan to sing on at least these two hymns plus Christ Was Born and while I'm not saying that's an especially good thing, it is a thing.

The lyrics for While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks are in this project's source text at beginning of scene 2 (page 23). The source text does not provide the lyrics for Joy to the World. We are using the lyrics for verses 1, 2 and 4 and they can be found in The Song Book on the music share.

I'll record some stage directions for scene 3 that I had failed to record earlier but noticed were missing when I was editing that scene yesterday. I'll also record Melchoir's lines for scene 3. I should have scene 3 complete this weekend. I think scene 2 (track length 16:10, including intro, outro and requisite silences) is effectively complete. Scene 3 currently runs just under 16:00 minutes (with the necessaries) but it will be a bit longer once I add in Melchoir and the missing stage directions.

We don't yet have recordings for Mary and Joseph (scene 1) so I don't have more precise estimates. But I can safely say that the entire play should be in the range of 45-50 minutes. I think the best way forward would be a single mp3 for the entire play. Of course we would gain at least 40 seconds in doing that; standard intro runs about 20 seconds and we wouldn't need the "end of" for scenes 1 and 2. Anyway, I do think that the savings will offset some of the time added for Mary and Joseph when they are incorporated.

So, my current plan is to have all three scenes collapsed into a single mp3 file (and needing Mary and Joseph of course) by Monday.

Thank you,
Brian

EDIT: I need retraining in math and keyboarding! :oops: I meant to say that the entire play should probably run between 50 - 55 minutes. :lol:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Brian!

Taking on more roles is fine, considering I thought you'd solo the whole thing when we started this journey :mrgreen:

At this point, we've established that you're doing a great job :thumbs: with editing songs, so there's no need to pre-listen the songs. I can listen to your final files (or final file) when they are ready.