COMPLETE Policeman Bluejay by L. Frank Baum - pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
loon

Post by loon »

BookWorm30 wrote: November 26th, 2023, 7:13 pm Here's chapter 19 (7:52)
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_19_baum_128kbp.mp3
Hi BookWorm30 -
Chapter 19 is close but it needs a couple fixes to meet the LibriVox specifications:
1) The opening silence should never be more than 1 second, and many readers edit their chapters so there is about 1/2 second of silence before the first word. Your opening silence is about 5.5 seconds, so 4.5 to 5.0 seconds should be removed from the very beginning of the chapter.
2) On the other hand, the closing silence should be at least 5 seconds (but not a lot more), so you'll need to add something close to 4 seconds of silence to the end. I can hear a distinct click at the end - that is likely you clicking your mouse to stop the recording. You could edit that click away before you add silence to the end.

And something to consider in future chapters:
There are several places in your recording where the signal reaches the maximum signal the digital signal can record (that's zero dB on the meter). Audacity has an option that helps you find such extra loud parts of a recording. In the 'View' pull down menu you'll find a 'Show Clipping (on/off)' option - if you click that the screen will highlight spots where the signal reaches zero in bright red.

If you see red (equals "clipping") while you are recording some of the loudest spots have reached the limit for a tiny fraction of a second. To prevent that, lower the record level slider a bit.

If your overall volume ends up too quiet to meet the LibriVox spec you might need to use the Audacity "Compressor" effect - perhaps starting with "Threshold:" set to -15 dB and "Ratio:" set to 1.5:1 with the other controls left at the default settings - those settings will gently lower the volume of spots where your recording are within 15 dB of the absolute limit. After that you should be able to amplify the whole track enough to get in the desired volume range.

Please fix the beginning and ending silence lengths and upload your chapter again with the same file name. Chapter 19 should then pass prooflisten.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
BookWorm30

Post by BookWorm30 »

Thanks so much Rich, will do! :thumbs:
edenwillow

Post by edenwillow »

Oops, December already! My sincere apologies for the late chapter 22 - edenwillow recorded it some weeks ago but I hadn't had the time to edit and upload it until now.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_22_baum_128kb.mp3
Duration: 5:28
edenwillow
(managed by ccsdg)
edenwillow

Post by edenwillow »

loon wrote: November 10th, 2023, 6:48 pm
edenwillow wrote: November 10th, 2023, 4:16 pm
Thank you so much for your feedback!! We're just recording directly into a laptop (no external mic) so will play around with the setup to try and reduce plosives for next time. Here are the changes, let me know if there are any more.
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/policemanbluejay_21_baum_128kb.mp3
Duration: 4:17
Thank you edenwillow (and ccsdg), Chapter 21 is now PL OK; 22 is up next. Since that is the final chapter in the book you'll also get to read
End of Policeman Bluejay, by L. Frank Baum.
after the regular chapter ending.

Recording directly on the laptop microphone absolutely makes it a harder to make adjustments - particularly if you are reading the book off the laptop screen. If you happen to be reading from a tablet or phone you have a chance to move the laptop a bit around to the side, or perhaps set the laptop on a box to get it a bit higher relative to your mouth. If you can't do that -- well, the point of LibriVox is to do what you can with the equipment you have access to. Onward to chapter 22!
Thank you for that kind and helpful advice (sorry again for replying a month late!) - and yes, she was reading from the laptop screen. We did play around with placement and angles and things without not being able to see the text at all... I think we heard fewer plosives this time around, but let's see what the PL thinks.
edenwillow
(managed by ccsdg)
loon

Post by loon »

edenwillow wrote: December 6th, 2023, 2:33 am Thank you for that kind and helpful advice (sorry again for replying a month late!) - and yes, she was reading from the laptop screen. We did play around with placement and angles and things without not being able to see the text at all... I think we heard fewer plosives this time around, but let's see what the PL thinks.
Thanks, ccsdg and edenwillow - I'll have your report in a couple hours. But first, breakfast!
loon

Post by loon »

edenwillow wrote: December 6th, 2023, 2:26 am Oops, December already! My sincere apologies for the late chapter 22 - edenwillow recorded it some weeks ago but I hadn't had the time to edit and upload it until now.

Thank you.

You've reduced the breath pops quite a bit - so yes, the setup you are using is working for you. I see by comparing the frequency spectrum for each of chapters 21 and 22 you have (probably) added a filter to reduce the frequencies below 100 Hz. That may well be a large part of the improvement in plosives. Well done!

Chapter 22 is PL OK with one small note below.

Optional: between 1:10 and 1:11, edenwillow has a false start reading 'girl' in 'That's true, said the girl lark', then quickly reads the word correctly. I previewed an edit to remove that extra syllable and it would make a clean edit. If you want to change that spot upload your edited file and post here to let me know so I can spot check. I've already marked the chapter PL OK, so if you decide to not go back and edit more that'll be fine.
edenwillow

Post by edenwillow »

loon wrote: December 6th, 2023, 8:45 am
edenwillow wrote: December 6th, 2023, 2:26 am Oops, December already! My sincere apologies for the late chapter 22 - edenwillow recorded it some weeks ago but I hadn't had the time to edit and upload it until now.

Thank you.

You've reduced the breath pops quite a bit - so yes, the setup you are using is working for you. I see by comparing the frequency spectrum for each of chapters 21 and 22 you have (probably) added a filter to reduce the frequencies below 100 Hz. That may well be a large part of the improvement in plosives. Well done!

Chapter 22 is PL OK with one small note below.

Optional: between 1:10 and 1:11, edenwillow has a false start reading 'girl' in 'That's true, said the girl lark', then quickly reads the word correctly. I previewed an edit to remove that extra syllable and it would make a clean edit. If you want to change that spot upload your edited file and post here to let me know so I can spot check. I've already marked the chapter PL OK, so if you decide to not go back and edit more that'll be fine.
Hooray! Thank you so much! We have removed the false start and uploaded the edited file -
Duration: 5:27

We actually didn't use a filter yet. The internal mic faces outward, away from the laptop body, so instead of facing towards the mic we also faced edenwillow very slightly outward so that the airstream travelled away from the laptop body too. We made the gutenberg window very narrow and dragged it over to the side of the screen where the microphone was, so that she could still read the whole thing (somewhat on the opposite edge of her vision). I'm so pleased (and surprised) it worked. I will definitely be considering an external mic in the future, though. Thanks again for all your help!
edenwillow
(managed by ccsdg)
loon

Post by loon »

edenwillow wrote: December 6th, 2023, 8:12 pm Hooray! Thank you so much! We have removed the false start and uploaded the edited file -
Duration: 5:27

We actually didn't use a filter yet. The internal mic faces outward, away from the laptop body, so instead of facing towards the mic we also faced edenwillow very slightly outward so that the airstream travelled away from the laptop body too. We made the gutenberg window very narrow and dragged it over to the side of the screen where the microphone was, so that she could still read the whole thing (somewhat on the opposite edge of her vision). I'm so pleased (and surprised) it worked. I will definitely be considering an external mic in the future, though. Thanks again for all your help!
Your edit is good - PL OK (again).

Just having edenwillow face a little outward is doing everything you need, so you can continue setting yourself up like that and everything will be fine - no filter effect needed. If/when you get a different mic you'll be able to go back to looking directly at the screen. :-)
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Hi Phil,

May I request a 3-day extension?

Thanks,
Stacey
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

StaceyM2022 wrote: December 9th, 2023, 7:37 am Hi Phil,

May I request a 3-day extension?

Thanks,
Stacey
Of course Stacey. How about till the end of December? :thumbs:
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
StaceyM2022

Post by StaceyM2022 »

Sounds great!

Thanks!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

StaceyM2022 wrote: December 9th, 2023, 9:44 am Sounds great!

Thanks!
I can't log into the magic window because my password doesn't work any more so I can't make a note there but it's still the end of december.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
loon

Post by loon »

philchenevert wrote: December 9th, 2023, 9:47 am
I can't log into the magic window because my password doesn't work any more so I can't make a note there but it's still the end of december.
Phil, I was able to add that note to the Magic Window.
BookWorm30

Post by BookWorm30 »

Phil,
Could I please get an extension for ch 19 and 20 to the end of December?
Caren
BookWorm30

Post by BookWorm30 »