hello

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
JuniperPearl

Post by JuniperPearl »

I am new to using this entire thing, this is really difficult. I did get a one minute test put up but it took me several hours to figure it out. I am not good at computers and not having any physical paper instructions to be able to go back to is very difficult. So many links and then how to get back to what I was looking at? I get totally lost. I feel so stupid, I learned to type on a typewriter and record on a tape recorder. This is so overwhelming, I just wanted to read and trying to get up just a one minute recording has reduced me to tears. I put in the money to get the equipment and now I am just sitting here crying trying to use it for one minute. I hope it is an ok recording, because I am ready to give up.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Hi Jun. I reviewed your test and there a couple of things to fix, but that is not unusual. No reason to give up now. You have a fine expressive voice. Just a couple of techie things to work through.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
vviera

Post by vviera »

JuniperPearl wrote: December 8th, 2023, 3:45 pm I am new to using this entire thing, this is really difficult. I did get a one minute test put up but it took me several hours to figure it out. I am not good at computers and not having any physical paper instructions to be able to go back to is very difficult. So many links and then how to get back to what I was looking at? I get totally lost. I feel so stupid, I learned to type on a typewriter and record on a tape recorder. This is so overwhelming, I just wanted to read and trying to get up just a one minute recording has reduced me to tears. I put in the money to get the equipment and now I am just sitting here crying trying to use it for one minute. I hope it is an ok recording, because I am ready to give up.
That sounds like a lot of frustration! I'm so sorry you're having a hard time with it. I'm a frustration crier too, so I know how you feel.

But with the 1-minute test submitted and posted that means you've already made your first recording! You figured out how to register. You also figured out how to post in this introduction thread! So what I can say definitively without knowing anything else about you is that you're NOT stupid!

I can also say this - if you learned to type on a typewriter (I learned on an IBM Selectric 45 years ago!) and are still growing your computer skills - you are very brave for venturing into the Librivox world, and you are willing to learn something new.

I was thinking what pieces of advice I might give as you get oriented. Here's what came to me.
--Go slow. If you get frustrated, push through a little bit, but if it gets to the crying stage, take a break!
--Can you print out the parts of instructions that you'd like to go back to on paper?
--Think of the Librivox website as a physical place. You wouldn't go into a big building for the first time and expect to know where everything is. You're really just at the exploration phase. Spend some time looking around the forum without actually trying to do anything--just mosey through and learn where stuff is.
--Ask questions! Everyone here is really friendly. Post in any forum thread, and someone will always hop in with an answer.

There's a lot to know in Librivox. I've been doing it for about 2 1/2 years, and I still learn something new occasionally about how things work. But we all started at the "how the heck do I do this test" point. If you're like me, it's easy to look around and think everyone had an easier time than I did getting started, but that's not the case.

There's a lot to know, and no one has it all down right away when they sign up.

I agree with sjmarky. I listened to your test, and you sound GREAT! I hope you don't give up!
Cheers, VERLA

There's no rehab for LibriVox addicts. (Aren't you glad?)