Company owner seeking work to record as a team building experience

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
covalentlogic

Post by covalentlogic »

Hello all!

I'm a frequent LibriVox user seeking to have my staff of 20 people record something as a team building experience. We're a communications firm, so I have some *great* professional voices, and some who are simply *good*. I'd love to get someone to suggest something that we can do together with each person spending an hour or two. Maybe it's a play or one of Plato's dialogues or something else that needs a crew to complete it.

I know that everyone will need to have their own account, but we are capable of "producing" something pretty special, as we do commercials for TV and Radio all the time and have great editing equipment and recording equipment.

I'm open to any and all suggestions and this will be my first time doing this for y'all, but I expect to do it more in the future myself, and maybe our whole team!

Thanks,

Stafford
www.covalentlogic.com
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

You are a for-profit company? Is this for your company’s benefit or for Librivox?
Last edited by sjmarky on December 10th, 2023, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi there Stafford, welcome to LV!

Thanks for thinking about volunteering (for us) for your team-building! :thumbs:

However, I don't think creating a LV project is a good idea for that, for several reasons.

- You're just starting out yourself on here. We've had outside group projects before, but these work best if there is somebody (the team leader) thoroughly familiar with our processes and what we expect of a finished project.

- Group projects take a lot of time. 1-2 hours per volunteer sounds good, but that's just the recording. There is the editing afterwards, and if you're thinking of a play with one character per volunteer, editing will take significantly longer than that. There will also be proof-listening from our side, and the readers may have to go back and fix any issues that are found at that stage. This will take extra time and also will take place days if not weeks after the initial effort - when everybody was ready to move on already.

- Also, for best results that you and your team can be proud of, it's best to record individually, even if you're doing a play, and then edit everything together. These are by nature solo tasks, so what you're ending up with is another larger project you'll work on as individuals - which is exactly what you're doing at work already and is not very team-buildy imo.

So, again, I don't think this will work for you as well as you think.

In my own experience, team building exercises work best when you're getting out of the office and do something that has nothing to do with the usual routine. I've been on hiking trips, off-season weekends to resorts, learned how to shoot with bow and arrow, and cleared some strips of forest. All of these were fun (except for the last one when the boss didn't win the final parcours and was prissy for months) and let us get closer in a non-office environment. As for team-building, I think you should look into options like these.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

As Availle said, any project that has multiple voices in the same production is going to take a significant amount of time to edit and do post production. That's probably not something you'll be able to fit into a "one or two hours each" schedule.

Maybe a book of poems? I think having each person do a short poem. edit their own mistakes to learn the editing process, and string them together into a group project as one poem per file would fit into the timeframe. Whoever is the MC (the person that does the correlation of the overall project) might be committing to a little bit of extra time, but overall I think it would work.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
barleyguy

Post by barleyguy »

Oh, one other quick thing to consider... Are your employees under "Work for Hire" employment contracts, for example a contract that says the company owns the copyright to their productions? If so, having them do public domain work during work hours might be a legally complicated issue.
So that's what an invisible barrier looks like... (Time Bandits)
vviera

Post by vviera »

I agree that this would be impractical, but for a reason not yet mentioned. Someone from your group (you?) will have to train themselves up as a book coordinator (BC). Availle referred to this as the team leader. Someone else doesn't create a project for you - whoever proposes the project creates it themself.

A BC needs to know how to create a project from the online template. This includes doing research on the author and the work to make sure the work is public domain (PD), and to give the information needed on the PD status to international users. They then have to know where to post that. There are also likely to be changes in the first post that the BC needs to make on the code generated by the template. I don't think I've ever mounted a project that didn't need tweaking of the first post.

After the project is successfully posted and a meta coordinator (MC) claims it, the BC populates the Magic Window (MW) with the sections they have identified to break the work up into. They then have to know how to assign a reader to each section and how to change status using the workflow compiler. When sections are uploaded, the BC enters the URL and duration of each into the compiler. If a prooflistener (PL) doesn't claim the project right away, the BC will likely need to do that as well. That consists of changing status multiple times, providing PL Notes to the readers, and spot PL-ing the corrections.

Because there is a lot to know, we always suggest that any person who wants to be a BC (or do a solo, where the reader is their own BC) record a handful of sections on another project to get some sense of the workflow before they try to learn all of the above.

This is outside what each reader would need to learn. Availle has covered some of that. It just seems like a bad idea.
Cheers, VERLA

There's no rehab for LibriVox addicts. (Aren't you glad?)