PrincessAllura wrote: September 9th, 2023, 5:00 pm
silverquill wrote: September 2nd, 2023, 6:45 pm

Thank you!
I've assigned this section to you
Thank You Larry.
Section 2 ready for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/crisisvol1no1_02_dubois_128kb.mp3
18:18

Insightful for a time long ago that feels not so long ago for the message. Glad to read this.
~Stephanie J
You did a nice job with the recording. I especially enjoyed the piece by the white person complaining about the white couple eating at the Negro restaurant. I could really feel his anger at it.
I loved the feeling you put into the different pieces.

Two easy corrections are needed here - they are both repeated texts.

3:54 please delete "than to see human rights placed be" as it is corrected at 3:56 "than to see human rights placed below"

14:36 please delete " It is the opinion of many who have given the matter attention that the large so-called colored class is developing greater capacity and desire for skilful pursui" as it is corrected following at 14:47 " It is the opinion of many who have given the matter attention that the large so-called colored class is developing greater capacity and desire for skilful pursuits"

A couple of other comments for future recordings.
1. The volume, while acceptable, is on the low side at 86.9 dB. The ideal volume is 89 dB and acceptable is between 86 and 92 dB. If you wish to increase it here you certainly may but you are by no means required to do so.
2. I suggest you move further from the microphone or not speak directly into it as there are quite a few little noises throughout. Something to think about in the future. Don't worry about it here.

Please let me know if you have any questions on how to make these changes. And, I appreciate your reading this section and look forward to hearing more from you as you are great at putting feeling into your reading.

Thanks,

M
Is there a way to adjust the volume of the recording without re-recording? Also is it a matter of turning my volume up or speaking louder or both? I am going to try a pill mic once I get a pop filter.
Thank you.
PrincessAllura

Post by PrincessAllura »

updates made.
Ready for PL

18:05

Any way to verify what db I am recording at? I am using audacity and have it set to linear db which shows range of negative decibels from 0 to- 18.

Thanks again.
~Stephanie J
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

PrincessAllura wrote: September 11th, 2023, 6:14 pm updates made.
Ready for PL

Any way to verify what db I am recording at? I am using audacity and have it set to linear db which shows range of negative decibels from 0 to- 18.

Thanks again.
~Stephanie J
Thank you!
I've marked this Ready for Spot PL

Here are two programs that I use to adjust the volume of recordings:

1. CHECKER
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker

This little program was written specifically for LibriVox, and is very easy to use.
Just drag your file to the Checker window, and it will quickly check it for all LibriVox specifications and give you a report.

One of the measurements is the volume in decibels. Use the Amplify feature under the Effect menu in Audacity to adjust the volume, by setting the value to plus or minus to bring the recording close to the LV target of 89 dB.

2. ReplayGain
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity

This article will introduce you to ReplayGain, which is a plugin specifically for Audacity. There is a link to download it and a link to a tutorial on how to use it. Once installed, it is easy to use. Depending on your version of Audacity, it will appear either in the Analyze menu or the Effects menu. ReplayGain can be selected to analyze the recording, giving a reading of how many decibels, plus or minus, that the recording is off from the target. It is then easy to use the Audacity Amplify feature to make the adjustment before exporting the file.
~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

PrincessAllura wrote: September 11th, 2023, 6:14 pm updates made.
Ready for PL

Thanks again.
~Stephanie J
This is PL OK.

I hope Larry was able to answer your questions. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

M
DLBlair

Post by DLBlair »

Hey, I just saw that this book has been hanging around for a long time. Time to get it completed. It appears there is only one section to complete, Along The Color Line. I would like to read that section.

~ D.L. Blair
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DLBlair wrote: October 6th, 2023, 1:12 pm Hey, I just saw that this book has been hanging around for a long time. Time to get it completed. It appears there is only one section to complete, Along The Color Line. I would like to read that section.

~ D.L. Blair
Yes, and thank you indeed!
I've put you in for the lead section for this book.

We are now full. :)
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Great! Off we go to Readers Found!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
DLBlair

Post by DLBlair »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Happy to assist!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Due to lack of response for over two months, Section 1 is now OPEN.
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I posted in the Orphans thread to see if we can get someone to adopt this one.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

icequeen wrote: December 10th, 2023, 4:20 pm I posted in the Orphans thread to see if we can get someone to adopt this one.
Oh, thanks, Ann!
I was just too tired to do it last night.
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

silverquill wrote: December 11th, 2023, 6:39 pm
icequeen wrote: December 10th, 2023, 4:20 pm I posted in the Orphans thread to see if we can get someone to adopt this one.
Oh, thanks, Ann!
I was just too tired to do it last night.

I'll take care of you, Larry! :D
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

If the orphan is still available, I can read it.
“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few are to be chewed and digested.” - Francis Bacon
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DJRickyV wrote: December 12th, 2023, 8:22 am If the orphan is still available, I can read it.
It is, and I would be delighted to have you read this for us!
Thank you so much. :)
~ Larry
DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

Seasons greetings!

Section 1 ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/crisisvol1no1_01_dubois_128kb.mp3 (34:58)
“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few are to be chewed and digested.” - Francis Bacon