[COMPLETE] THE BIRTH OF YUGOSLAVIA VOLUME 1 by Henry Baerlein - kaz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EastCentralMinnesota

Post by EastCentralMinnesota »

THE BIRTH OF YUGOSLAVIA VOLUME I, by Henry Baerlein (1875 - 1960)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-birth-of-yugoslavia-volume-1-by-henry-baerlein/

Volunteers outside the USA: Henry Baerlein died in 1960. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 50 years; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Henry Baerlein expands on his articles first published in the Fortnightly review to explain the historical context and challenges facing Yugoslavia, a multi-ethnic country located in southeastern Europe that was formed immediately after World War I as the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes – and which disintegrated in 1992 and is now in present day (2022) parts of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Republic of Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, and Slovenia. (Summary by Keith Marohn)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015016905948&view=1up&seq=2

Target completion date: 2023-12-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of THE BIRTH OF YUGOSLAVIA VOLUME I. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "THE BIRTH OF YUGOSLAVIA VOLUME I, by Henry Baerlein. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of THE BIRTH OF YUGOSLAVIA VOLUME I, by Henry Baerlein. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of THE BIRTH OF YUGOSLAVIA VOLUME I, by Henry Baerlein."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: birthyugoslavia1_##_baerlein_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. birthyugoslavia1_01_baerlein_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Kazbek

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by EastCentralMinnesota on October 26th, 2023, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I'll be glad to set this up for you. You'll need more than 8 sections. I've created a Magic Window with 15. You can add more sections later if you need them. I've also shortened the filename.

As soloist, you will also be the BC (book coordinator) for your project, and will be in charge of filling out the Magic Window. Before you can access a Magic Window for the first time, you will need to set up a password for logging into the workflow system, as described here:

How to log in to the workflow system for the first time

Other instructions for managing the Magic Window can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

In a solo project, you don't have to worry about the things that BCs do in group projects for other readers. You just need to do the following:

1) Fill out the Title column, which will be used in the catalog (hit Enter to save).
2) Put file durations (mm:ss) into the Notes column (click Save to save).
3) Copy file URLs from the uploader and paste them into the Listen URL column (hit Enter to save).
4) Update the status to "ready for PL" and "ready for spot PL", as appropriate.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll leave this thread here on the Launch Pad for a couple of days before moving it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Proof-listener) volunteers.

Michael
EastCentralMinnesota

Thank you, Michael.

In reviewing the chapter lengths, I will likely need to split some chapters, so creating 15 sections seems a good starting point.

I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction since this is my first Solo.

I should have my first session (the preface) done in 1-2 weeks.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Moving the thread to Going Solo.
EastCentralMinnesota

Preface is ready for PL - Constructive Criticism is desired.

Section 01 - Preface
Duration 29:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia1_01_baerlein_128kb.mp3

The next section - Section 02 - Introduction - will be ready in about 2-3 weeks.
EastCentralMinnesota

Ready for PL - Constructive criticism desired

Section 2: Introduction
Duration: 7:56
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia1_02_baerlein_128kb.mp3

The next section will be ready in 2-3 weeks - which will include the first part of chapter 1: Glory and Disaster.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Now that there are a couple of sections waiting for PL and no has signed up to be the DPL yet, it would be a good time to advertise in the forum Proof Listeners or Editors Wanted:

viewforum.php?f=61

These posts have a standard format. There are instructions for creating them at the top of the forum (see the third post in this thread, titled "FAQ for BCs/soloists who need help with PL"):

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17680

Michael
EastCentralMinnesota

Ready for PL - Constructive criticism desired

Section 3: Chapter I: Glory and Disaster, part 1
Duration: 31:08
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kazbek/birthyugoslavia1_03_baerlein_128kb.mp3

The next section will be ready in 2-3 weeks - which will include the final part of chapter 1: Glory and Disaster.

Michael - if I do not have a DPL after completing Chapter 1, I will advertise. The Holidays are a busy time and so I only expect to wrap-up chapter one by the end of the year anyway. Proof listening is not slowing me down.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Sounds good.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

I will DPL this project.
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

I will DPL this project.
Paul
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

Kazbek wrote: December 7th, 2022, 9:16 am Sounds good.
Hi Michael

Could you give me DPL access to the MW please?

Thanks

Paul
PaulWelford

Post by PaulWelford »

1 - 3 are PL OK. Very high quality recording and voice.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

PaulWelford wrote: December 20th, 2022, 8:02 am Hi Michael

Could you give me DPL access to the MW please?
We normally give the BC a chance to respond before adding a DPL to the system. I believe the soloist is taking a break from LV and was expecting to resume shortly. Once they respond, I'll be happy to give you access. In the meantime, I've removed the ~ from the header.

Michael
EastCentralMinnesota

Paul - Thank you for the feedback. Life over the holidays has me busy. I should have the next section ready in the next 1-2 weeks.